E-Fan + 160 t-stat + AC always on = over heating - Page 2 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Technical & Electrical General technical and electrical discussion for the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #26  
Old 06-28-2008
wydopnthrtl's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SE, Mi
Posts: 2,342
Bob, you have no clue about what your talking about.

I've personally built and tested entire cooling systems in a 100% controlled & measured environment. And nearly every one was for Ford development too. I'm tellin ya, the fluid is moving to quickly to cool off.

Bob, your simply being argumentative and basing your thoughts on ignorance.

Later, Rich
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-28-2008
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl View Post
Bob, you have no clue about what your talking about.

I've personally built and tested entire cooling systems in a 100% controlled & measured environment. And nearly every one was for Ford development too. I'm tellin ya, the fluid is moving to quickly to cool off.

Bob, your simply being argumentative and basing your thoughts on ignorance.

Later, Rich
Rich, the coolant will not move too quickly with a thermostat installed! If a cooling system required the thermostat to close so the coolant could cool off in the radiator, the system would go into thermal runaway! There is no way a 160 degree thermostat will make a vehicle overheat!!

Sorry Rich, your wrong, lets see a link to something that backs you up!!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-28-2008
04 EDGE
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
rich dosent need to post links like you do bob, see he knows these things, have you not been reading his posts?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-28-2008
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 EDGE View Post
rich dosent need to post links like you do bob, see he knows these things, have you not been reading his posts?
Yes, and this time he is dead wrong! He will never find anything to back him up!!! I don't care if he has built and tested cooling systems for every vehicle made, he doesn't know how a thermostat is supposed to work!!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-28-2008
04 EDGE
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
and you do not know how a radiator works, and shall i remind you, transmissions also!

i'd love to see you fail ASE tests bob, as all these easy things are questions on the tests!
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 06-28-2008
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 EDGE View Post
and you do not know how a radiator works, and shall i remind you, transmissions also!

i'd love to see you fail ASE tests bob, as all these easy things are questions on the tests!
Mark, at least I don't have a problem admitting I'm wrong about something!!

If you passed the ASE test, you should understand what I'm trying to say about the thermostat, and you would understand why Rich is wrong!!

So, for your benefit, Rich's benefit, and D's benefit, I found a "basic" description of how a cooling system works:

http://www.familycar.com/Classroom/CoolingSystem.htm
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-28-2008
Dusty08's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Phoenix, Az
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXranger4x4 View Post
i ran my truck last summer with no t-stat and it never over heated i put one 1 for the winter and it started over heating in the summer i just got done take out the t-stat when u live somewhere were it gets 110+ in the summer u will over heat cuz of any lil reason
strongly disagree. 120 is not unheard of here and, during our Monsoon season in July-Sep., we experience a decent level of humidity. It sucks, and it's hard on everything -- but overheating has NOT been a problem for anyone that I know of.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-28-2008
04 EDGE
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda View Post
Mark, at least I don't have a problem admitting I'm wrong about something!!

If you passed the ASE test, you should understand what I'm trying to say about the thermostat, and you would understand why Rich is wrong!!

So, for your benefit, Rich's benefit, and D's benefit, I found a "basic" description of how a cooling system works:

http://www.familycar.com/Classroom/CoolingSystem.htm
jesus christ bob are you serious? yet again another link to someones theory! why cant you post your personal theory bob?

not everything on the internet is true. and yes i passed that part of the ASE test, would you like my cert number?

moderators i beg you to act on this member.


your an idiot and if i have to get banned like maurice then so be it! you have no clue as rich stated in a above post. again, please go away.

Last edited by 04 EDGE; 06-28-2008 at 09:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-28-2008
bucky919's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Minot, ND
Posts: 1,943
cant we all just get along

Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-29-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Upstate,NY
Posts: 2,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXranger4x4 View Post
i am going to change the coolant this weekend as well....right now i am running water and alil bit of coolant...
I see everyone overlooked this little tidbit.
Run a 50/50 mix of water/antifreeze.
The properties of antifreeze enable it to transfer the heat from the engine to the radiator better than plain water.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-29-2008
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: McKinney, TX
Posts: 2,123
There is no need to beat each other up. If you're not civiliy contributing to the thread discussion, move on.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-29-2008
TXranger4x4's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: McAllen, TEXAS
Posts: 287
thanks guys but i think i got it fixed.....i did not testing and took out the t-stat and it has not overheated so i am going to go buy a new t-stat and see if that goes....also i am getting raid of the jusnes controller and putting it on a switch
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06-29-2008
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 0
Get a real controller, don't just put it on the switch. Get yourself a SPAL controller. Maurice had one on his Ranger with the Taurus efan and it ran awsome. You can set the SPAL to turn on slowly at a lower temp and then full speed at another temp.

www.spalusa.com
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 07-02-2008
wydopnthrtl's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SE, Mi
Posts: 2,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda View Post
Yes, and this time he is dead wrong! He will never find anything to back him up!!! I don't care if he has built and tested cooling systems for every vehicle made, he doesn't know how a thermostat is supposed to work!!

Bob Bob Bob...

I'm not dead wrong. I'm right. As far as me not knowing how t-stats work..

OK.. my resume on the subject:
As part of all that 6 years of OEM cooling & FEAD development, I had to personally go to the stant factory and engineering facility in Walthham Mass. (sp?) It was the entire week before Christmas 1994. A nor-easter blew in 3hrs after I left Boston on the Fri before the holiday weekend. Check the weather records if you like.
I had review our Ford cougar project with them, learn how stats are made, how they function, how they are engineered, how they are calibrated, and what failure modes occur.

How's the crow taste bob?



Just for the sake of others who might be reading..

An OEM spaced t-stat is open only when the water temp heats up & expands the wax inside of a stats "cup". It's usually a brass or soft metal cup on the engine side. The wax is 100% sealed and as it expands it can't escape. So it pushes against a tapered pin. The pin pushes open the plate which allows coolant to flow into or in some cases from the radiator. The wax cools... and the stat closes.

The amount of opening a stat does is usually all the way because there is a spring pressure pushing against the expanding wax. They/we want it to operate as an all or nothing situation because of the very point I've made. You don't want a constant flow through the rad. The rads capacity and the coolants volume is just not enough by itself. We need the coolant to reside in the rad for at least 15 seconds at hwy speeds so it'll cool.

Now the heat migrating to the stat is relative to many other things that are taking place. Three major ones:
1) Exhaust efficiency (40% of the heat goes out the exhaust)
2) Engine load (completely relative to the car/truck/situation)
3) Internal coolant by-pass design. (some flow through the heater core 100% of the time.. others don't)

A **typical** family car running down the hwy at 55mph will have it's stat open only about 30-50% of the time in the summer. During the winter w/the heater on full blast it can take up to 2 minutes in between openings. And in sub zero temps it may not even open. That's right.. the heater core and exhaust alone can be enough to cool a lightly loaded engine in very cold temps!

There is a whole science to stats and even a secret recipe as to what the wax has in it.

Me not knowing stats... ok Bob you win. Your arrogance heaped on top of ignorance combined with the ability to do internet searching makes you the top dog when it comes to automotive cooling knowledge.

You win.

Rich
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 07-02-2008
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl View Post
Bob Bob Bob...

I'm not dead wrong. I'm right. As far as me not knowing how t-stats work..

OK.. my resume on the subject:
As part of all that 6 years of OEM cooling & FEAD development, I had to personally go to the stant factory and engineering facility in Walthham Mass. (sp?) It was the entire week before Christmas 1994. A nor-easter blew in 3hrs after I left Boston on the Fri before the holiday weekend. Check the weather records if you like.
I had review our Ford cougar project with them, learn how stats are made, how they function, how they are engineered, how they are calibrated, and what failure modes occur.

How's the crow taste bob?



Just for the sake of others who might be reading..

An OEM spaced t-stat is open only when the water temp heats up & expands the wax inside of a stats "cup". It's usually a brass or soft metal cup on the engine side. The wax is 100% sealed and as it expands it can't escape. So it pushes against a tapered pin. The pin pushes open the plate which allows coolant to flow into or in some cases from the radiator. The wax cools... and the stat closes.

The amount of opening a stat does is usually all the way because there is a spring pressure pushing against the expanding wax. They/we want it to operate as an all or nothing situation because of the very point I've made. You don't want a constant flow through the rad. The rads capacity and the coolants volume is just not enough by itself. We need the coolant to reside in the rad for at least 15 seconds at hwy speeds so it'll cool.

Now the heat migrating to the stat is relative to many other things that are taking place. Three major ones:
1) Exhaust efficiency (40% of the heat goes out the exhaust)
2) Engine load (completely relative to the car/truck/situation)
3) Internal coolant by-pass design. (some flow through the heater core 100% of the time.. others don't)

A **typical** family car running down the hwy at 55mph will have it's stat open only about 30-50% of the time in the summer. During the winter w/the heater on full blast it can take up to 2 minutes in between openings. And in sub zero temps it may not even open. That's right.. the heater core and exhaust alone can be enough to cool a lightly loaded engine in very cold temps!

There is a whole science to stats and even a secret recipe as to what the wax has in it.

Me not knowing stats... ok Bob you win. Your arrogance heaped on top of ignorance combined with the ability to do internet searching makes you the top dog when it comes to automotive cooling knowledge.

You win.

Rich

Rich, you provided absolutely nothing that says a thermostat has to close to allow the coolant in the radiator to cool!!!!!

Just seeing what you have done to your truck tells me what kind of engineer you are!!!! You weren't even aware that running a battery voltage of 12.3V
at idle would run your battery dead. You didn't know that e-fans didn't have enough air pull for a 4 core radiator.....and you are an EXPERT???????
Did Ford fire the firm you work for?


So, I'm still waiting on something besides your lip music!!!!


At least I provided information from Stant that backs up my point!

Last edited by Takeda; 07-02-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 07-02-2008
04 EDGE
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
from wikianswers

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_does_a...hermostat_work

another link for bob from a simple search

http://www.familycar.com/Classroom/C...#The_Radiator_


heres a small part of that link.

"There is a mistaken belief by some people that if they remove the thermostat, they will be able to solve hard to find overheating problems. This couldn't be further from the truth. Removing the thermostat will allow uncontrolled circulation of the coolant throughout the system. It is possible for the coolant to move so fast, that it will not be properly cooled as it races through the radiator, so the engine can run even hotter than before under certain conditions. Other times, the engine will never reach its operating temperature. On computer controlled vehicles, the computer monitors engine temperatures and regulates fuel usage based on that temperature. If the engine never reaches operating temperatures, fuel economy and performance will suffer considerably."


i wish closed minded people like bob would open there eyes to the real world.

the one sentence reply you posted from stant was useless bob. again your an idiot.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 07-02-2008
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 0
Any retard with half a brain knows that if the thermostat sticks open that eventually the ENTIRE system will be at the same temp.

I can't believe Maurice got banned over some dumb a$$ like Takeda. I don't see how the mods take up for stupidity; do they want HORRIBLY WRONG information posted on here (I couldn't believe they would since this is susposed to be a tech site, I guess they don't give a crap).


Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 EDGE
again your an idiot
better watch out, Bob will get you banned like Maurice.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 07-02-2008
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 EDGE View Post
from wikianswers

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_does_a...hermostat_work

another link for bob from a simple search

http://www.familycar.com/Classroom/C...#The_Radiator_


heres a small part of that link.

"There is a mistaken belief by some people that if they remove the thermostat, they will be able to solve hard to find overheating problems. This couldn't be further from the truth. Removing the thermostat will allow uncontrolled circulation of the coolant throughout the system. It is possible for the coolant to move so fast, that it will not be properly cooled as it races through the radiator, so the engine can run even hotter than before under certain conditions. Other times, the engine will never reach its operating temperature. On computer controlled vehicles, the computer monitors engine temperatures and regulates fuel usage based on that temperature. If the engine never reaches operating temperatures, fuel economy and performance will suffer considerably."


i wish closed minded people like bob would open there eyes to the real world.

the one sentence reply you posted from stant was useless bob. again your an idiot.

Again Mark, absolutely NOTHING about a thermostat having to close so the coolant can cool in the radiator!!!

The answer from Stant applied directly that there was no cooling system that had to have the thermostat close to allow the coolant to cool in the radiator!!!
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 07-02-2008
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: McKinney, TX
Posts: 2,123
You guys can take a breather on this thread.

Edit: Opened back up. Play nicely now.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why is my truck over heating Hoytbowhunter General Ford Ranger Discussion 4 04-08-2011 02:53 PM
over heating 97-4x4ranger General Ford Ranger Discussion 1 06-29-2010 07:10 PM
wont stop over heating MikeyFord3 2.3L & 2.5L I4 Tech 6 08-09-2008 04:25 PM
Radiator, Over heating, door ajar light, dome light, cranking issues bspivy 2.3L & 2.5L I4 Tech 10 10-28-2007 01:41 PM
2003 Taurus - Heating/Cooling Fan Question - Need help quick - Bob? mental ambiguity General Technical & Electrical 11 07-05-2006 09:32 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:40 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.