inertia switch/fuel pump/no start - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Technical & Electrical General technical and electrical discussion for the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 03-21-2012
rangerrunner11's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: .
Posts: 1,018
inertia switch/fuel pump/no start

Ive read a handful of threads on here so far and its obvious its one of two issues, fuel pump or the fuel cut off switch

itll crank like a demon just pow pow pow but will not catch.

im the type that always cycles the key forward and listens for the fuel pump whine and i listen for it every time and it always whine but recently it hasnt wanted to fire up...

is it a low pressure deal?
or the switch is messing up?

fuel pump is stock 2000 W/ 185,000 on it
fuel filter is newish
all injectors work for sure
wires and plugs are new and in proper firing order

so whats the hypothesis gentleman?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-21-2012
StxDangerRanger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
Posts: 6,313
Easiest thing to check first is the Inertia switch. Pull your passenger kick panel, give the switch a good smack, then reset it.

if that doesn't work, see if you can rent or if you know somebody with a fuel pressure gauge. You can hook that up to the system and if you cycle the key, you should have in the neighborhood of 30-50 PSI of pressure.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-21-2012
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Round Rock
Posts: 484
Mine was doing the same thing; you could hear the fuel pump but it would just crank. I took the cap off the schrader valve (I hope I spelled it right) and pushed it in. Fuel just dribbled out where it should spray out. I ended up replacing the pump which was easier than I thought.

If it is your inertia switch, try jumping it briefly and see if it will start.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-21-2012
06RangerXLT's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halton Hills, Ont
Posts: 1,685
other thing can be the crank position sensor. check for spark.if you dont have any thats the problem.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-21-2012
rangerrunner11's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: .
Posts: 1,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by StxDangerRanger View Post
Easiest thing to check first is the Inertia switch. Pull your passenger kick panel, give the switch a good smack, then reset it.

if that doesn't work, see if you can rent or if you know somebody with a fuel pressure gauge. You can hook that up to the system and if you cycle the key, you should have in the neighborhood of 30-50 PSI of pressure.
Its the box with the red button on top correct? simply pushing that button down will reset the system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meistreguy View Post
Mine was doing the same thing; you could hear the fuel pump but it would just crank. I took the cap off the schrader valve (I hope I spelled it right) and pushed it in. Fuel just dribbled out where it should spray out. I ended up replacing the pump which was easier than I thought.

If it is your inertia switch, try jumping it briefly and see if it will start.
good info, so its the same american valve like a bike tire?

and it started right up when i pulled the negative cable, reset the computer and jumped it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06RangerXLT View Post
other thing can be the crank position sensor. check for spark.if you dont have any thats the problem.
well its not out of timing I dont believe because when she runs, she runs amazing. not a hint of smoke or off timing. and when i pulled a good plug it had spark like mad
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-21-2012
StxDangerRanger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
Posts: 6,313
Yea, its got a red button on top, but you have to trip it to reset it. like a GFI in your bathroom.
Smack it with your hand a few times, then reset.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: STERLING HEIGHTS
Posts: 4
so what happens if that red button is missing? would that come off since i rolled my truck?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 3 Weeks Ago
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 7,601
You need to get new inertia switch
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New fuel pump, filter, inertia switch, still wont start. akathechef 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 4 6 Days Ago 07:48 PM
Fuel pump? Inertia Switch? Intermittent starts... klc317 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 14 10-10-2017 08:55 AM
Inertia Switch, Fuel Pump, Electrical. Please help. Flashover2607 General Technical & Electrical 7 12-20-2016 10:11 AM
no power to fuel pump or inertia switch 50mustangs 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 8 10-07-2015 02:06 AM
Fuel Pump and/or Inertia Switch ???? cal74 General Technical & Electrical 1 11-17-2011 12:31 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:31 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.