hard wiring radar detector - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Interior Semi-Tech General discussion of interior for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 11-20-2006
Otis_Ranger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Otis, MA
Posts: 244
hard wiring radar detector

Whats up everyone, I'm lookin to hardwire my radar detector in my truck, tried searchin but couldn't find any threads that talked about how to do it. Can anybody give me a guide on how to do it, I'm a newb when it comes to wiring stuff up. Any help would be appreciated, or a link to a thread that I may have missed.

Take it easy,
J
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-20-2006
r0ng5's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: LA, CA
Posts: 2,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis_Ranger
Whats up everyone, I'm lookin to hardwire my radar detector in my truck, tried searchin but couldn't find any threads that talked about how to do it. Can anybody give me a guide on how to do it, I'm a newb when it comes to wiring stuff up. Any help would be appreciated, or a link to a thread that I may have missed.

Take it easy,
J
You probably would have to cut off the cig plug, strip 1/2" off the ends of the wires (there's going to be two wires: one 12V, one ground). You can tap the 12V wire into your powerpoint on your bezel.. or anywhere else you have a 12V source.. and then just ground the other wire (usually black) to a ground close by. (anything metal.. usually).

Shouldn't be too hard. You would just need some taps, electrical tape (to tape everything, so there's no shorts) and maybe a bottle of water (for yourself of course).
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-20-2006
Blhde's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 2,804
The cigarette lighter is hot 24/7 and would result in a dead battery in a few days of not driving.


Does your radar detector have a wiring kit, or you just planning on hacking the cigarette plug up and wiring it in?

I tapped the radio for mine. Kind of annoying as it works in the accessory position.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-20-2006
r0ng5's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: LA, CA
Posts: 2,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blhde
The cigarette lighter is hot 24/7 and would result in a dead battery in a few days of not driving.


Does your radar detector have a wiring kit, or you just planning on hacking the cigarette plug up and wiring it in?

I tapped the radio for mine. Kind of annoying as it works in the accessory position.
truuue that. I was assuming the radar had a on/off switch.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-20-2006
Otis_Ranger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Otis, MA
Posts: 244
radar does have an on/off switch which i went searching other places and people in general said they didn't wanna keep turning their detector on and off....which doesnt really bother me that much...as long as i remember to unplug it haha...But i've also heard of people getting simple switchs and hooking them up to that as well...as for stripping the wires rocky mountain sells a kit for hard wiring, and i've heard that best buy sells kits too, so i'll have to check that out.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-20-2006
Blhde's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 2,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ng5
truuue that. I was assuming the radar had a on/off switch.

Only time I have turned mine off is when I get pulled over and its laughing at me.

The "power point" is switched, i had mine plugged into that for a while.


I suggest doing some research and see how well the rocky mountain products perform before you buy one.

With reviews like this.

Quote:
We did find, however, that by removing the Rocky Mountain Radar RMR-C450 from the dash and substituting its cardboard box, a slight reduction in maximum laser target range was achieved.

If youíre looking for a less expensive alternative, Rocky Mountain Radar offers the Phazer II ($179.95), priced lower because itís not a detector and claims only to be a jammer. But having tested the Phazer, both the original and the Phazer II (look for a Phazer III not long after this story comes out), we can say with complete assurance that it jams absolutely nothing.
http://www.radartest.com/article.asp?articleID=8502

I would question the rest of their products. Granted that site might be biased, do your own research.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-20-2006
quest51210
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
pull the radio out, and tap the gray/yellow wire in the radio harness. ground will be a black/orange. GL
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-20-2006
Otis_Ranger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Otis, MA
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blhde
I suggest doing some research and see how well the rocky mountain products perform before you buy one.
alright have the radar detector from them and havent had any problems with it, of the 2 that I've owned before it, it seems to work the best. Just lookin on some insight as to how/where to hardwire the detector to.

which looks like I'm prolly gonna do to the radio, since I'll be getting a new head unit in the near future anyways.

Thanks for the help guys!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-20-2006
DaneTrain's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Wellington, CO
Posts: 491
Hell, i jus tapped into a plug in the fuse box. ive had it that way for like 2 years. Works great, and I hide the wire behind the dash, so it looks clean and without wires. Neato./
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-20-2006
fx4me's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 1,507
I got a hard wire kit off ebay for a few bucks. It comes with the fuse attachment so that you can connect it to a fuse that only gets power in accessory/run. I haven't installed it yet though. It came with instructions and everything.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-20-2006
jtslmn720's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Kent State, Kent Ohio
Posts: 7,367
hot to 12v... ground to ground... put either a toggle switch in the line, or use the on/off fucntion on the unit...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-20-2006
quest51210
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis_Ranger
alright have the radar detector from them and havent had any problems with it, of the 2 that I've owned before it, it seems to work the best. Just lookin on some insight as to how/where to hardwire the detector to.

which looks like I'm prolly gonna do to the radio, since I'll be getting a new head unit in the near future anyways.

Thanks for the help guys!
you must have skipped post #7 the one above yours
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-26-2006
Otis_Ranger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Otis, MA
Posts: 244
ended up buying the kit at bestbuy and got it all hooked up...thanks again for the help guys
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How-To: 07+ hard wire radar detector 04blackedge Interior, Exterior, & Electrical 0 03-10-2009 09:31 PM
Hard wiring radar detector? MattN03 General Technical & Electrical 4 04-07-2008 11:56 AM
Hard wire a radar detector Lord Of War General Technical & Electrical 18 07-06-2007 02:52 PM
Bought today - New Radio and Radar Detector FORZDA Audio & Video Tech 15 03-16-2005 03:20 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:37 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.