Headlight mod with a twist? - Page 2 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


New Ideas Have a new idea for your Ford Ranger? General discussion of new ideas for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #26  
Old 09-20-2010
ShadowRanger08's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,694
yeah yellow and red dont even look good on the vettes. especially the yellow...I'm liking the red ring tho!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-20-2010
GrafixGuy's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 8,703
this mod would also look good if you painted those red circles silver... or white
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-20-2010
PAShooter's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Altoona, PA
Posts: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99offroadrngr View Post
you don't know how to mask something off? lol just go by the regular how to and adjust to it as u go...
What makes you say he sprayed the rings? I didnt see anything that said that.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-20-2010
mikerider's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Renton WA
Posts: 2,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAShooter View Post
What makes you say he sprayed the rings? I didnt see anything that said that.
Well I was going to just brush the rings but decided to spray it instead.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-20-2010
BufordT9's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 38
Looks really good!
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 09-22-2010
bluepowerranger's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 135
i really like this, might have to try it with my truck
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-22-2010
morris's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: South Detroit.
Posts: 7,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger4.0 View Post
i was thinking colors like the yellow and red color matched wont look good at all
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowRanger08 View Post
yeah yellow and red dont even look good on the vettes. especially the yellow...I'm liking the red ring tho!
yea, thats what i was thinking. but look at someone like shane whose truck is dark and has done the headlight mod.

doesn't look too bad.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-29-2010
mikerider's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Renton WA
Posts: 2,504
Name:  P1050288.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  120.6 KB

heres the first set I worked on, came out ok all said and done, but the lenses didn't clean up as well as I had hoped, so if any body wants these send me a PM.

I did however mod a second set with much better results and should have them on the truck in the next day or two.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-30-2010
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
hmmm... Have to see 'em on the truck to have an official opinion on 'em. I like the out of the box idea for sure though.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09-30-2010
mikerider's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Renton WA
Posts: 2,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
hmmm... Have to see 'em on the truck to have an official opinion on 'em. I like the out of the box idea for sure though.
Ya I am excited to get them on the truck and see what they look like, Its subtle enough that its not obnoxious and should match my KC covers well.

Heres the full set up that will be going on the truck as soon as the glue has cured.

Name:  P1050293.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  179.1 KB

Name:  P1050295.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  154.3 KB

Name:  P1050301.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  154.3 KB
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 09-30-2010
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerider View Post
Y
UGGG!! I wanna do a set of clears JUST like that!! ahhhh!! Mikey they look freakin' sweet!! Do not wanna cook my current set of perfect clears though!!! lol. Kudos on being again the only one with pimp clears like that.

Working on a little labor trade for a set of black clears and I'll be using the lenses from and one of my many sets of chrome backs I've got lying around.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 09-30-2010
mikerider's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Renton WA
Posts: 2,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
UGGG!! I wanna do a set of clears JUST like that!! ahhhh!! Mikey they look freakin' sweet!! Do not wanna cook my current set of perfect clears though!!! lol. Kudos on being again the only one with pimp clears like that.

Working on a little labor trade for a set of black clears and I'll be using the lenses from and one of my many sets of chrome backs I've got lying around.
Ha thanks man! I have the process for corners dialed now! (only took 3 sets to get these perfect) finally got all the trick put in to one set of corners and I am real happy with them. but hey messing things up is all part of the game, at least I have yet to melt anything, the worst I have had is one of the lenses fall off my corner lol.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 09-30-2010
btm757's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Norfolk / Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 3,980
Looks great man
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 09-30-2010
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerider View Post
Ha thanks man! I have the process for corners dialed now! (only took 3 sets to get these perfect) finally got all the trick put in to one set of corners and I am real happy with them. but hey messing things up is all part of the game, at least I have yet to melt anything, the worst I have had is one of the lenses fall off my corner lol.
hahaha...when that one went flyin' like the day after install. lol. Priceless. haha.

Question: idk if you've had modded corners on it at all yet but the painted ring, do you ever have issues with direct sunlight making the ring look bluish-green? IDK why but mine do and it drives me nuts. lol. On my next set I plan on not using John Deere Blitz Black on that ring since all my previous sets have been painted with that.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 09-30-2010
mikerider's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Renton WA
Posts: 2,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
hahaha...when that one went flyin' like the day after install. lol. Priceless. haha.

Question: idk if you've had modded corners on it at all yet but the painted ring, do you ever have issues with direct sunlight making the ring look bluish-green? IDK why but mine do and it drives me nuts. lol. On my next set I plan on not using John Deere Blitz Black on that ring since all my previous sets have been painted with that.
No problems at all with them looking off color, just make sure you have a lot of paint behind to fill up the flutes in the plastic, as it dries it gets real thin in the valleys I noticed and that would make them look different in bright sun. I actually sprayed the black ring on the outside first the put another coat on with a brush and some acrylic paint. I have been using Satin Black Krylon Fusion and it has worked very well.

having that lens fall off sucked lol still hoping to find another lens and save that set of corners.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 09-30-2010
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerider View Post
No problems at all with them looking off color, just make sure you have a lot of paint behind to fill up the flutes in the plastic, as it dries it gets real thin in the valleys I noticed and that would make them look different in bright sun. I actually sprayed the black ring on the outside first the put another coat on with a brush and some acrylic paint. I have been using Satin Black Krylon Fusion and it has worked very well.

having that lens fall off sucked lol still hoping to find another lens and save that set of corners.
Thanks for the tips and suggestion on paint. I never thought of brushing after spray to make it deeper/thicker. I've done like 4 ring painting sets and all seem to do that issue when hot sunlight stays on it, even after thick spray jobs. I think it's an issue with my paint and not coverage but who knows. lol.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new twist on an old mod SVT01RANGER Vehicle & Meet Videos 9 08-24-2008 05:45 PM
CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR...new twist plaese help JOHN PERRETTE 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 6 06-25-2008 04:09 PM
Dreaded Door ajar, but with a twist moacsupreme Interior Semi-Tech 9 01-13-2007 08:35 PM
CHevy springs... With a twist bigdavesohc Suspension Tech 14 10-10-2006 11:34 AM
Cab/Bed Twist..... Mason Suspension Tech 16 08-16-2005 09:15 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:42 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.