00GreenRanger's rig - Page 2 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource

Project Logs For detailed builds specific to the Ford Ranger, one thread per vehicle please.

00GreenRanger's rig

  #26  
Old 10-23-2018
00GreenRanger's Avatar
Level III Supporter
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North Bend, WA
Posts: 1,416
Originally Posted by RonD View Post
I would change to a self adjusting pressure plate, much less hassle to start off with and clutch disc can last longer
From my understanding, the factory pressure plate isn't self adjusting. Not sure why this would be an issue.
 
  #27  
Old 10-23-2018
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 11,805
Internal slave means you can't adjust it like the old days to get the most miles from the clutch disc

Also means with new clutch disc the clutch pedal must be down to the floor, and maybe an inch farther, lol, to get full release
So any little bit of air in the system is a major headache, over time as disc wears down its less of an issue
As disc gets thinner pedal disengage/engage moves farther up on the clutch pedal until its at the top of pedal so disc starts to slip
In the old days with external slave you could adjust it so pedal travel disengage/engage was in the lower middle, and then adjust it more as disc wore out

Self adjusting pressure plate does that for you, keeps pedal travel at the same place as disc wears down
I think self adjusting setup may have a slightly thicker clutch disc as well, because it can be adjusted, so lasts a bit longer.


I normally do my own clutches, but, I am getting older so last clutch was done by local shop, they had done other work for me and they are good guys
I asked for self adjusting setup because I wasn't sure what was in there now.
They put in "factory" non-self adjusting pressure plate because it was "stock".
They/we spent the next week trying to get system bled so I didn't have to shut off the engine to put it into 1st when stopped, lol
They ended up pulling trans and putting in self adjusting pressure plate, which worked fine, they also reversed my O2 sensors, another story, lol.
I told them I didn't care if the non-self adjusting pressure plate stayed in there, it was less money, but I did want it to work, i.e. being able to shift into 1st while stopped
 

Last edited by RonD; 10-23-2018 at 11:13 AM.
  #28  
Old 10-23-2018
00GreenRanger's Avatar
Level III Supporter
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North Bend, WA
Posts: 1,416
Originally Posted by RonD View Post
Internal slave means you can't adjust it like the old days to get the most miles from the clutch disc

Also means with new clutch disc the clutch pedal must be down to the floor, and maybe an inch farther, lol, to get full release
So any little bit of air in the system is a major headache, over time as disc wears down its less of an issue
As disc gets thinner pedal disengage/engage moves farther up on the clutch pedal until its at the top of pedal so disc starts to slip
In the old days with external slave you could adjust it so pedal travel disengage/engage was in the lower middle, and then adjust it more as disc wore out

Self adjusting pressure plate does that for you, keeps pedal travel at the same place as disc wears down
I think self adjusting setup may have a slightly thicker clutch disc as well, because it can be adjusted, so lasts a bit longer.


I normally do my own clutches, but, I am getting older so last clutch was done by local shop, they had done other work for me and they are good guys
I asked for self adjusting setup because I wasn't sure what was in there now.
They put in "factory" non-self adjusting pressure plate because it was "stock".
They/we spent the next week trying to get system bled so I didn't have to shut off the engine to put it into 1st when stopped, lol
They ended up pulling trans and putting in self adjusting pressure plate, which worked fine, they also reversed my O2 sensors, another story, lol.
I told them I didn't care if the non-self adjusting pressure plate stayed in there, it was less money, but I did want it to work, i.e. being able to shift into 1st while stopped
Okay I see what you're saying. I wanted to give this stage 2 clutch a try and see how it does. I don't drive the truck much anymore so I'm not too worried about having to pull it apart down the road. Thanks for the info, Ron.
 
  #29  
Old 10-23-2018
Member
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 31
Congrats on your upgrades! Thanks for sharing and the photos. Any chance you might have some photos that are not just the front, left front or right front of your Ranger? Before and after? Thanks.

b
 
  #30  
Old 10-23-2018
Fordzilla80's Avatar
@flrangeredge IG
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,325
Stage 2 Clutch will definitely be fine for what you do since you have the beater car. Jacob went with a dual friction this last time around since he also never drives his truck. I had to stick with a self adjuster since I daily mine 40 miles round trip. I couldn't imagine doing the daily thing with a stage 2 clutch. lol.
 
  #31  
Old 10-23-2018
00GreenRanger's Avatar
Level III Supporter
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North Bend, WA
Posts: 1,416
Originally Posted by Fordzilla80 View Post
Stage 2 Clutch will definitely be fine for what you do since you have the beater car. Jacob went with a dual friction this last time around since he also never drives his truck. I had to stick with a self adjuster since I daily mine 40 miles round trip. I couldn't imagine doing the daily thing with a stage 2 clutch. lol.
My car has a stage 2 in it lol. It aint bad
 
  #32  
Old 10-24-2018
Fordzilla80's Avatar
@flrangeredge IG
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,325
Originally Posted by 00GreenRanger View Post
My car has a stage 2 in it lol. It aint bad
I wish the Ranger Clutch Hydraulics were easier to service, IE not in the bell-housing.
 
  #33  
Old 10-24-2018
00GreenRanger's Avatar
Level III Supporter
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North Bend, WA
Posts: 1,416
Originally Posted by Fordzilla80 View Post
I wish the Ranger Clutch Hydraulics were easier to service, IE not in the bell-housing.
You and everyone else with a manual Ranger lol
 
  #34  
Old 10-24-2018
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 11,805
Not true, in my opinion, being older, I spent most of my driving years with external adjusting clutches, linkage, cable and hydraulic styles

In cars it wasn't a big deal but still one more thing to deal with along with Points and Carb adjustments, which I also hated, don't get me wrong I loved to tune an engine, when I WANTED TO, not when I HAD TO, lol.

In trucks, especially if you were off-road much, you would get damaged linkages, or broken linkages, broken spring holding linkage, ect....................

I have to say I have never had an issue with an internal clutch system, off road or on
Just lucky I guess

But I do understand people wanting "adjustable" everything, and there is no reason not to have what you want, but to say it is the "right way" or "better way" is not true for all people
Except for fuel injection, distributorless ignition systems and self adjusting clutches, which is RIGHT and BEST for everyone, lol.
 
  #35  
Old 10-24-2018
00GreenRanger's Avatar
Level III Supporter
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North Bend, WA
Posts: 1,416
Originally Posted by RonD View Post
Not true, in my opinion, being older, I spent most of my driving years with external adjusting clutches, linkage, cable and hydraulic styles

In cars it wasn't a big deal but still one more thing to deal with along with Points and Carb adjustments, which I also hated, don't get me wrong I loved to tune an engine, when I WANTED TO, not when I HAD TO, lol.

In trucks, especially if you were off-road much, you would get damaged linkages, or broken linkages, broken spring holding linkage, ect....................

I have to say I have never had an issue with an internal clutch system, off road or on
Just lucky I guess

But I do understand people wanting "adjustable" everything, and there is no reason not to have what you want, but to say it is the "right way" or "better way" is not true for all people
Except for fuel injection, distributorless ignition systems and self adjusting clutches, which is RIGHT and BEST for everyone, lol.
I agree with ya on all that, Ron lol. Now that my Ranger is not my DD, it gets about 2500-3000 miles on it a year tops. I figured I could comfortably try out this stage 2 clutch for ***** and gigs. I can always swap it out for a self adjusting set up down the road if I'm not happy with it. Especially since I don't need the truck to get to work.
 
  #36  
Old 10-25-2018
00GreenRanger's Avatar
Level III Supporter
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North Bend, WA
Posts: 1,416
Originally Posted by bka0721 View Post
Congrats on your upgrades! Thanks for sharing and the photos. Any chance you might have some photos that are not just the front, left front or right front of your Ranger? Before and after? Thanks.

b
Here's some side photos:

No lift on 32's
​​​​​​

4 inch lift on 33's
​​​​​​
 
  #37  
Old 11-04-2018
00GreenRanger's Avatar
Level III Supporter
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North Bend, WA
Posts: 1,416
Picked this up the other day. It is a 1350 linkage but it has the long lever arm and will only require minor clearencing to work with the 1354 case. Pulled it off an 89' auto ranger. From my understanding these only came on rangers and bronco 2's with the A4LD. The rest got the short arm 1350 linkage.

​​​​​​
 
  #38  
Old 11-07-2018
Dewey's Avatar
@THE_ALMIGHTY_E4_RANGER
iTrader: (6)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Arcadia, Fl
Posts: 2,136
Glad to see some progress Sam
 
  #39  
Old 11-14-2018
00GreenRanger's Avatar
Level III Supporter
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North Bend, WA
Posts: 1,416
Managed to get my hands on a 1354 linkage from an fx4 level 2

​​​​​​
 
  #40  
Old 11-14-2018
Fordzilla80's Avatar
@flrangeredge IG
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,325
Chrome lever too?
 
  #41  
Old 11-14-2018
00GreenRanger's Avatar
Level III Supporter
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North Bend, WA
Posts: 1,416
Originally Posted by Fordzilla80 View Post
Chrome lever too?
Nah just the linkage
 
  #42  
Old 11-14-2018
Fordzilla80's Avatar
@flrangeredge IG
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,325
Originally Posted by 00GreenRanger View Post
Nah just the linkage
Dang, I'll keep my eyes open and I'll let you know if I find anything cheap.
 
  #43  
Old 11-14-2018
00GreenRanger's Avatar
Level III Supporter
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North Bend, WA
Posts: 1,416
Originally Posted by Fordzilla80 View Post
Dang, I'll keep my eyes open and I'll let you know if I find anything cheap.
Thanks man. I think I might just run an 8" hurst handle to match the trans shifter
 
  #44  
Old 11-14-2018
Fordzilla80's Avatar
@flrangeredge IG
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,325
Honestly, after owning a few sets of the Fx4 stuff, if I were to do the 4x4 thing again, I would run dual Hurst levers hands down.
 
  #45  
Old 11-15-2018
00GreenRanger's Avatar
Level III Supporter
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North Bend, WA
Posts: 1,416
Originally Posted by Fordzilla80 View Post
Honestly, after owning a few sets of the Fx4 stuff, if I were to do the 4x4 thing again, I would run dual Hurst levers hands down.
I like the look of the Hurst levers better. I got the linkage from Ford and not a junk yard so it is brand new (yes they are still floating around, just gotta look hard).
 
  #46  
Old 11-15-2018
Fordzilla80's Avatar
@flrangeredge IG
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,325
I don't blame you. I could definitely tell it was a NOS part, the lack of rust gave it away. lol.
 
  #47  
Old 11-15-2018
00GreenRanger's Avatar
Level III Supporter
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North Bend, WA
Posts: 1,416
Haha yeah, I was surprised that I found one.

On that note, if anyone is looking for the fx4 level 2 linkage you can get it from fordpartsgiant.com. Part #: 2L5Z-7210-AB
 
  #48  
Old 11-26-2018
00GreenRanger's Avatar
Level III Supporter
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North Bend, WA
Posts: 1,416
Ballin'

​​​​​​
 
  #49  
Old 01-07-2019
00GreenRanger's Avatar
Level III Supporter
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North Bend, WA
Posts: 1,416
A little update. More parts collecting..

Shift **** thanks to Fordzilla80:


Level 2 floor plate:
​​​​​​

2003 level 2 manual shift t-case:


Hurst shifter:
​​​​​​
 
  #50  
Old 01-07-2019
Fordzilla80's Avatar
@flrangeredge IG
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,325
Just a pro-tip, Loctite the threads of the bolts for the shift lever, they love to rattle loose. I got so tired of mine coming loose that I coated them in Loctite and also threw a 3/8-24 nut on the other side of each bolt to really be able to crank them down and make sure they don't come loose.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 00GreenRanger's rig


Contact Us Sitemap Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.