Someone school me on different suspension setups - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Suspension Tech General discussion of suspension for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 02-09-2015
Bazman2008Ranger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Chino Hills, California
Posts: 412
Someone school me on different suspension setups

Ive been looking into getting new shocks for my 2wd ranger. right now the shocks are pretty stiff and i feel just about every pebble on the road. when I'm on trails or something it gets to be a pretty bumpy ride. I've been looking at bilsteins and rancho. those seem to be pretty popular around here. my friend was telling me about coilovers, but i don't have money for that and i really don't know what those are lol. i would like to stay somewhere around $200-$300 for all four shocks. they would mainly be for on-road driving (probably 70% pavement, 30% trail). also i have some 3" spindles up front and what i think are 2" shackles, i don't know if this makes a difference or not in the size of shock. i'd just like to here some suggestions and your suspension setup or what works best or brands to stay away from. thanks guys
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-10-2015
redranger04g's Avatar
Member

iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Placentia, CA
Posts: 928
You will get lots of different opinions on here, but the general consensus is that bilsteins are ONE of the best shocks you can buy for the ranger. You can get all 4 in the $300 price range. You are going to want the yellow 4600s for the front. Your 3" spindles keep the shocks in the stock location so a stock length shock will work just fine. With the 2" shackles you will need longer shocks. I would put the silver 5100s in the back, you can get these for rangers with a 2" lift doing a quick search. By putting the 5100s in the back you will be in the $350 price range.

Personally, I have the 4600 yellow HD bilsteins and I absolutely love them. I will not put another shock on my truck. Again, just my opinion.

If you want to know more about coilovers search "coilover conversion" and "coilover bracket". This should yield you plenty of threads to learn about coilovers.

Last edited by redranger04g; 02-10-2015 at 12:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-10-2015
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 7,607
Let some air out of your tires............softer ride

Shocks don't support the vehicle, torsion bars and/or springs do(not counting "air inflatable" shocks for load leveling)
Shocks are there to dampen the bouncing of the 'springs'.
This dampening is determined by the valving in the shocks, the "rebound" and "compression" numbers are the valving, but most shock makers don't publish these numbers, lol, go figure.

It all depends on what the driver wants, softer ride which also effects cornering, or stiffer ride which can blur the vision and jar the kidneys on a washboard road, lol.

Shocks can't over come "too much spring", pickup trucks need to have heavier springs in the rear to accommodate maximum load(1/2 ton), making an unloaded truck very stiff in the rear, the shocks don't even come into play on small bumps most of the time, springs don't move/flex at all, bump is just transferred directly to the frame, and you.
If there is too much spring in the rear there is not much you can do about it except change the springs, adding a load at the rear of the bed can help, and lower tire pressure.

Torsion bars up front are adjustable, so you can soften and stiffen the ride.

Bilsteins are a good choice, they tend to run over 300psi of pressure which reduces the chance of losing rebound effect on multiple quick compressions.

Last edited by RonD; 02-10-2015 at 01:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-10-2015
Bazman2008Ranger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Chino Hills, California
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonD View Post
Let some air out of your tires............softer ride

Shocks don't support the vehicle, torsion bars and/or springs do(not counting "air inflatable" shocks for load leveling)
Shocks are there to dampen the bouncing of the 'springs'.
This dampening is determined by the valving in the shocks, the "rebound" and "compression" numbers are the valving, but most shock makers don't publish these numbers, lol, go figure.

It all depends on what the driver wants, softer ride which also effects cornering, or stiffer ride which can blur the vision and jar the kidneys on a washboard road, lol.

Shocks can't over come "too much spring", pickup trucks need to have heavier springs in the rear to accommodate maximum load(1/2 ton), making an unloaded truck very stiff in the rear, the shocks don't even come into play on small bumps most of the time, springs don't move/flex at all, bump is just transferred directly to the frame, and you.
If there is too much spring in the rear there is not much you can do about it except change the springs, adding a load at the rear of the bed can help, and lower tire pressure.

Torsion bars up front are adjustable, so you can soften and stiffen the ride.

Bilsteins are a good choice, they tend to run over 300psi of pressure which reduces the chance of losing rebound effect on multiple quick compressions.
dude your a freakin' genius lol thanks for the advice
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-10-2015
bravetitan24's Avatar
Strokin'
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Haughton, LA
Posts: 2,156
Seriously, Ron, is there anything you don't know about Rangers? Did you work for Ford or something, or have you just spent that much time around them?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-10-2015
Dewey's Avatar
@THE_ALMIGHTY_E4_RANGER
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Arcadia, Fl
Posts: 2,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravetitan24 View Post
Seriously, Ron, is there anything you don't know about Rangers? Did you work for Ford or something, or have you just spent that much time around them?
X2 a few of us would like to know
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-10-2015
bravetitan24's Avatar
Strokin'
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Haughton, LA
Posts: 2,156
Yeah, I'm not joking. It's a serious question. I just want to know your background with Rangers. You just came on RF one day giving knowledge to the masses, and we're forever grateful lol
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-10-2015
RLong31's Avatar
The Ban Hammer
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Monrovia, IN
Posts: 2,629
If I don't know.. I just wait for Ron to answer so I can learn something, haha. Has to be Ford Master Tech or something.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-10-2015
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 7,607
Thanks again.

No never worked for Ford, I like their trucks especially Rangers, I am tall and rangers have more head room than most 'smaller' trucks.
I do drive GM cars though, I like them better than Ford cars, for the same reason, Fords cars just don't have the head room GM does, I know it is model specific but it just seems that the models I like in Ford cars just don't have any head room for me.

I am just a general wrencher, been one since I got my first bicycle and then mini-bike, my grandfather worked as a mechanic all his life, independent shop.
He told me if I wanted to ride'm or drive'm I better know how to fix'm, lol, words to live by.
I went to his shop after school almost every day, cleaned up mostly, but did learn alot of the basic, that was back in the '60s, yes I am old, lol.
I have never made a living as a mechanic just worked on cars and trucks all my life, and enjoy it.
I know some stuff about rangers because I have owned a few, but most of the stuff I know is just general knowledge about vehicles.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-11-2015
RLong31's Avatar
The Ban Hammer
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Monrovia, IN
Posts: 2,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonD View Post
Thanks again.

No never worked for Ford, I like their trucks especially Rangers, I am tall and rangers have more head room than most 'smaller' trucks.
I do drive GM cars though, I like them better than Ford cars, for the same reason, Fords cars just don't have the head room GM does, I know it is model specific but it just seems that the models I like in Ford cars just don't have any head room for me.

I am just a general wrencher, been one since I got my first bicycle and then mini-bike, my grandfather worked as a mechanic all his life, independent shop.
He told me if I wanted to ride'm or drive'm I better know how to fix'm, lol, words to live by.
I went to his shop after school almost every day, cleaned up mostly, but did learn alot of the basic, that was back in the '60s, yes I am old, lol.
I have never made a living as a mechanic just worked on cars and trucks all my life, and enjoy it.
I know some stuff about rangers because I have owned a few, but most of the stuff I know is just general knowledge about vehicles.
You remind me of an old member.. Bob. Bob knew just about everything, especially related to electrical issues. You have a pretty awesome general knowledge about diagnosis, which is incredibly useful. I know if I ever have an issue I can count on you to at least get me started in the right direction. We're glad to have you around.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-11-2015
bravetitan24's Avatar
Strokin'
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Haughton, LA
Posts: 2,156
That's cool, Ron. We're certainly glad to have you around. Folks like yourself that join forums to pass on so much knowledge without expecting anything in return are few and far between. Like Ryan said, you remind me a lot of Bob as well. Bob still logs on, but doesn't post as much as he used to. He's a wiring and motor swap guru.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Single Cab Sub/ Amp Setups! MEC454 Audio & Video Tech 40 07-07-2010 05:02 AM
Cheapest and best place to buy 2wd wheel/tire setups? TheBearJeweler General Ford Ranger Discussion 4 07-03-2009 06:17 PM
Extended Cab System Setups austinz400 Audio & Video Tech 2 11-12-2008 03:07 AM
Can I see some sub setups.. MOTOunplugged Snapshots 5 10-21-2008 09:12 PM
traction setups? TippnOver Drivetrain Tech 33 12-20-2004 06:34 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:58 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.