35's and bigger ? - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech General discussion of wheels and tires for the Ford Ranger.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 09-15-2005
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location:
Posts: 3,115
35's and bigger ?

Who's got 35's or bigger tires ? What did you do for drivetrain mods ? Gears, axles ?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-15-2005
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
might want to get a lvl 2 axle or explorer. i would run 4.56s but prolly dont have too.

cant really change brakes either, maybe upgrade the rear brakes to discs?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-15-2005
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location:
Posts: 3,115
I mean I have my 35's on and they are great, I have said before in other post but I can't help but think, I went this big so bigger must be better. I love the look and ride of the 35's, I should have did it a long time ago. I guess I have in the back of my mind that I have increased wear and maybe down the road I might break something so if/when i do how can I make it better, so how ?

oh God I don't want to do a lvl2 or explorer swap, but I guess I might have to consider it, maybe its not as bad as I think it is, I have another post up about stronger 28 splines and that looks, not as exspensive.

how much would an explorer rear axle cost and what years would work ?

What can be done with the front end in all reality ? Can the dana 35 be upgraded ? What the biggest gear that will fit it ?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-15-2005
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
i heard 4.56 is the biggest but i dont know for sure. i have heard of no upgrades that u can buy just custon stuff.

i read your other thread. idk if i would upgrade the 28 spline. i would talk to D he knows some of the junkyards around there im sure he could get a good explorer axle or lvl2 axle.

if ya get the lvl2 axle you could then get the rear disc conversion from SSBC through D he gets a deal.
not sure on prices, but the lvl2 axle comes with a good LS and if ya pull that front diff down i would get a no-slip powertrax for it.

the SSBC kit is 500 i think
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-15-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PUEBLO, CO
Posts: 3,753
4.88 is the biggest gear that will fit upfront, you cant really "upgrade" the D35/D28 but you can get better shafts custom made. depending on the availability on sploder axles in your area, you price can differ. a cuddy of mine got his for 100 but with frum brakes. Yull have to get the master cylinder as well if you plan on getting discs, but if you find a good donor at a U-Pull-It, then you should make out for about the price of the moser shafts. ford states that the 31 to (i thought it was 27 splin, but i may be confusing myself with the front which are 27 spline) 28spline, the 31 is 33% stronger.

you can get exploder axles from 92 and up i beleive but 95 and up wll have disc brakes. check out TRS the have a lbrary with all the sploder or all 8.8s that will work for that matter. The things that need to be adapted for the swap are re mount the spring perches on top of the axle, add shock mounts, and if you go disc, plumb the new master cylinder.



EDIT: BTW have you read where I thought anything bigger than 35s is a dumb idea??
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-15-2005
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERGILDO

EDIT: BTW have you read where I thought anything bigger than 35s is a dumb idea??

i heard ya but i dont htink i wanna run bigger than 35s either
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-15-2005
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location:
Posts: 3,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard
i heard ya but i dont htink i wanna run bigger than 35s either
someone has to
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-15-2005
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
lol there are people that have...

transfercase blown i know one truck has.

others i see forsale after they build it up... idk why. im guessing stuff breaks. if i ever go bigger there will be SFA in the front of my truck.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-15-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PUEBLO, CO
Posts: 3,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger1
someone has to


ummmm why? that doesnt make sense. and its pretty irrational. BTW its been done before, lots.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-15-2005
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location:
Posts: 3,115
SFA or SAS cost too much and take too long, and not enough people have done it to even get a list of parts that work, when a company makes a kit, that is all bolt it, I'll do it. Look what Jey is going through his truck has been down for months and I know he had to have spent tons of money, sure when he gets it done its going to be one of the baddest truck on the site, but I can't justify doing that all custom and having the truck down for so long I just can't think its worth it.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-15-2005
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location:
Posts: 3,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERGILDO
ummmm why? that doesnt make sense. and its pretty irrational. BTW its been done before, lots.
Whats so irrational about having maximun ground clearance ? I know its been done before thats the whole point in these post I am making, to learn how to do it and how its been done. and what to watch out for.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-15-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PUEBLO, CO
Posts: 3,753
money wise, youll spend more money trying to upgrade you front axle shafts and replacing them with bigger tires than you would on a good budget SAS. and then you can upgrade as you go...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-15-2005
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
you could do it in one weekend i know ya could. if i do mine it will be down for that long. maybe a week.

get all your parts do you homework, get a donor vehical.

jey situation is different, he did his so soon beacuse he broke everything up front, he didnt have all the parts or the stuff ready when he started.

when i start i will have everything i need or damn close to it.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-15-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PUEBLO, CO
Posts: 3,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger1
Whats so irrational about having maximun ground clearance ? I know its been done before thats the whole point in these post I am making, to learn how to do it and how its been done. and what to watch out for.

well you have to understand that its dumb to go outside that the limits that you know yur truck will have. Of course we all want to have tons of ground cleanrance we all do but at the expense of your truck? THATS irratonal. I know you are super pumped about having 35s and whatever, you riding the happy train, which you prbably wont even listen to anything I say, but take it easy on the bigger tires thought. you'll only f*ck things up and in the end I will only be able to tell you I told you so.

35s are a great size, and pair it with a suspension lift and some lockers, you'll have a very capable truck, depending on how you drive. push the limits of those mods and then come back and start talking of 38s...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-15-2005
got-dirty's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sliding in the skreets
Posts: 3,829
one guy back over spring break used his week of ollege spring break to install a leaf sprung SAS. its was a tan colored truck, cant find picks now though. But it can be done much quicker than you see most taking. Its all in the planning, have all the absolute necc. parts, and the knowledge to do it.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-15-2005
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location:
Posts: 3,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERGILDO
well you have to understand that its dumb to go outside that the limits that you know yur truck will have. Of course we all want to have tons of ground cleanrance we all do but at the expense of your truck? THATS irratonal. I know you are super pumped about having 35s and whatever, you riding the happy train, which you prbably wont even listen to anything I say, but take it easy on the bigger tires thought. you'll only f*ck things up and in the end I will only be able to tell you I told you so.

35s are a great size, and pair it with a suspension lift and some lockers, you'll have a very capable truck, depending on how you drive. push the limits of those mods and then come back and start talking of 38s...
that just not make any freaking sense you start off saying its irrational to go above 35's and then come back with paired with a suspension lift and lockers you will be very capible push that to the limit then come back and talk about 38's

why not start off 10 post ago by saying maybe think about a suspension lift or locker to maximize what you got before think about going bigger.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-15-2005
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location:
Posts: 3,115
I really wish everyone would take all their SAS and SFA ideas and not post them here because thats not the question I am asking. I am asking besides a SAS whats upgrades are out there for the stock suspension, and drivetrain.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-15-2005
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
i sorry ben... just dont want you too spend way too much money and not get anywhere.

you wanted opinions and options, we are giving them to ya
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-15-2005
a311fanam's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Westerly, RI
Posts: 2,006
This guy did it, maybe this will help you or he can

http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...howtopic=29835
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-15-2005
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by a311fanam
This guy did it, maybe this will help you or he can

http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...howtopic=29835

that dont help.. its ttb ranger, its much easier. we have torsion bars, you knew that
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-15-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PUEBLO, CO
Posts: 3,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger1
that just not make any freaking sense you start off saying its irrational to go above 35's and then come back with paired with a suspension lift and lockers you will be very capible push that to the limit then come back and talk about 38's

why not start off 10 post ago by saying maybe think about a suspension lift or locker to maximize what you got before think about going bigger.


because I think that much is assumed but, yes you should lift then lock then run with it for a year or two then reconsider...
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-15-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PUEBLO, CO
Posts: 3,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard
that dont help.. its ttb ranger, its much easier. we have torsion bars, you knew that


yup! ttbs can get locking hubs and crap. we cant.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-15-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PUEBLO, CO
Posts: 3,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard

you wanted opinions and options, we are giving them to ya


EXACTLY!! i hate when people tell me what im not capable of too and I know thats where youre comin from, but we're only trying to help you!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-15-2005
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERGILDO
yup! ttbs can get locking hubs and crap. we cant.

plus the already have coils, which also makes it easier. i dont think they have rack and pinion steering either, although im not sure
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-15-2005
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location:
Posts: 3,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard
i sorry ben... just dont want you too spend way too much money and not get anywhere.

you wanted opinions and options, we are giving them to ya
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERGILDO
EXACTLY!! i hate when people tell me what im not capable of too and I know thats where youre comin from, but we're only trying to help you!
Zach and Gildo I really appreciate what you guys are telling me I really do and maybe i should shut up and listen, I am sorry guys
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lift and bigger wheels and tires? rangercrazy07 SOHC - 2.3L & 2.5L Lima Engines 5 06-15-2008 04:19 PM
Big & Bigger, The Shanerizer and myself! (56k Warning) WowMike2001 Snapshots 25 05-23-2008 03:18 PM
bigger injectors, and maf in a 4 banger johnson SOHC - 2.3L & 2.5L Lima Engines 10 09-11-2007 09:04 AM
bigger rims with lift and A/T...help rideabikenick Exterior Semi-Tech 18 08-03-2007 04:37 AM
Where to get bigger MAF and Injectors?? mustangsvo85 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 15 04-07-2006 10:18 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:16 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.