When can I take cats off? - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech General discussion of 2.9L and 3.0L V6 Ford Ranger engines.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 12-02-2007
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 202
When can I take cats off?

I have a 03 edge, with 40k on it, when can I take the 2 big cats off and put one hi flow on? Is it 8 years or 80k miles?

Is it completely illegal to cut them off and put a hi flow on?

This is not implying I am doing this, they are questions for my own knowledge so I don't do something illegal and dumb. Thank you
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-02-2007
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
move to Wyoming, all you have to have here is a muffler



but then again, according to the big mighty federal gvt, you cant modify ANYTHING... but who listens to them?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-02-2007
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 202
Haha, I have a straight pipe right now..My buddy has a older ranger 3.0 with a hi flow cat on it and muffler it sounds so much deeper and louder I love it, but I am stock with like a bizillion and one cats on mine haha..Do they make headers for our trucks or not?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-02-2007
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
yep
http://www.stuffforyourranger.com/st...dc69276c259fa8


you just gotta know someone when inspection rolls around if you dont have any cats, or you can get lucky like me when i went in both times, the tech never looked under my truck, didnt test any lights or the horn... not that anything was wrong but i was surprised.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-02-2007
Trigger01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 18,788
Yup.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-02-2007
DSFD506's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Anderson, SC
Posts: 702
Believe it or not but the cats they've been putting on them for a few years now are high flow cats. If you don't want cats but want to pass inspection, just gut the stock ones and rebolt them. Luckily here we don't have inspections either.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-02-2007
D.
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmx4life
I have a 03 edge, with 40k on it, when can I take the 2 big cats off and put one hi flow on? Is it 8 years or 80k miles?

Is it completely illegal to cut them off and put a hi flow on?

This is not implying I am doing this, they are questions for my own knowledge so I don't do something illegal and dumb. Thank you
You can do it today and waste your time and money. You already have hi-flow cats on your truck. 5 of them to be exact.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-02-2007
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 202
I did not know that, thanks guys! They will definetly be staying on
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-02-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Valdosta, Georgia
Posts: 18
you could move to georgia....we don't have any inspections or anything, and i only know one guy that got busted for his pipes bein too loud and that cus he was bein stupid and reving his engine infront of a cop.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-02-2007
SteveOh's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ft. Campbell Kentucky
Posts: 4,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugg
you could move to georgia....we don't have any inspections or anything, and i only know one guy that got busted for his pipes bein too loud and that cus he was bein stupid and reving his engine infront of a cop.

certain parts of ga have inspections..i know of a few countys that have it
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-02-2007
EdGe_wannabe's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Richmond Hill, Georgia
Posts: 4,306
My part doesn't have any. But I regret gutting my last cat. It did absolutely nothing and now my check engine light is on because of it.

Brenton
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-03-2007
01xltranger4x4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: MI
Posts: 3,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.
You can do it today and waste your time and money. You already have hi-flow cats on your truck. 5 of them to be exact.

Unless Ford decided that his truck needed an extra converter, it should have a grand total of 4. (2 Pre-cats and 2 secondary cats)

Some late 03's had 3 cats, but Ford didn't start going with a full time 3-converter set-up until 2004.

The new trucks have 2 cats, one per bank, they are re-designed from the last 3-catalytic converter configuration.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-03-2007
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
i only have 2
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-03-2007
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdGe_wannabe
My part doesn't have any. But I regret gutting my last cat. It did absolutely nothing and now my check engine light is on because of it.

Brenton
get a little piggyback sensor so trick the computer
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-03-2007
01xltranger4x4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: MI
Posts: 3,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ranger4x4
i only have 2

Im sure other members have the same...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-04-2007
red_fx2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: lakeland, fl
Posts: 32
i have none on a 5.9L 360 w/ flowmast duals :)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-27-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01xltranger4x4
Unless Ford decided that his truck needed an extra converter, it should have a grand total of 4. (2 Pre-cats and 2 secondary cats)

Some late 03's had 3 cats, but Ford didn't start going with a full time 3-converter set-up until 2004.

The new trucks have 2 cats, one per bank, they are re-designed from the last 3-catalytic converter configuration.
?

My 02 *had* 5.

One on each side just outside of the collector - 2
One on the y-pipe under the trans coming from the drivers side - 1
Two in the mid-pipe (one where the two pipes come together and another after the o2 sensor) - 2

I cut the last one after the o2 out. A little louder, exactly where I wanted it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flowmaster 40, all 4 cats taking off? Jeriziah 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 28 09-26-2010 08:11 PM
Cats or No Cats 00 Ranger 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 21 05-16-2008 06:06 PM
possible to cut cats off on 02 edge? Help needed panzer 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 6 07-31-2007 07:53 PM
can u take off the stock fenderflares TXranger4x4 Exterior Semi-Tech 13 10-21-2006 02:09 PM
cats or no cats TXranger4x4 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 10 07-11-2006 01:34 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:51 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.