Exhaust advice? - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 02-24-2010
DimeWylde's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 55
Icon6 Exhaust advice?

I recently put flowmaster 40's on my 4.0 ranger. I kept the catalytic converters and sort of regretting it. I love the sound of my truck but I just want to increase the volume a bit. Beating out the cats is always an option but also risks ruining the cats and being screwed because it could be too loud forcing me to buy new cats. My final conclusion is to cut off one cat and fill the gap with straight pipe. What do my fellow ranger friends think?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-24-2010
wildbill's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Crestwood
Posts: 308
Sup Louisvillian...

Leave your cats alone. Live with the, "...I love the sound of my truck..." that you have now.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-24-2010
mmmtof's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 211
just do one. if you want it louder your not going to be happy until it is. Im in the same boat as you
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-24-2010
DimeWylde's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmtof View Post
just do one. if you want it louder your not going to be happy until it is. Im in the same boat as you
Lol. Yeah man. I think it would make it run better too. Just cutting off the first cat from the headers. I mean, 191,000 miles on my truck, that cat has got to be slowing the air flow. And the 2nd one can't be too bad since the first is taking most.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-24-2010
DimeWylde's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 55
Also, my reasons for my not loud enough problem is I'm rebuilding a 302 for the ranger and its killing me not having it done yet. I want it. Bad. haha
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-24-2010
StrangerRanger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The 253
Posts: 756
I swapped out the two cats that I had for one dual in single out magnaflow highflow cat. Added some extra decibels but not so much its too loud.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-24-2010
DimeWylde's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 55
sweet. there are hardly any good videos of 4.0 rangers with flowmaster 40's without cats. if anyone has any, or knows of any. thatd be great
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-24-2010
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimeWylde View Post
I recently put flowmaster 40's on my 4.0 ranger. I kept the catalytic converters and sort of regretting it. I love the sound of my truck but I just want to increase the volume a bit. Beating out the cats is always an option but also risks ruining the cats and being screwed because it could be too loud forcing me to buy new cats. My final conclusion is to cut off one cat and fill the gap with straight pipe. What do my fellow ranger friends think?
It is a FEDERAL CRIME to alter or mess with your cats!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-25-2010
Coleosis85's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: OKC, Ok
Posts: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimeWylde View Post
sweet. there are hardly any good videos of 4.0 rangers with flowmaster 40's without cats. if anyone has any, or knows of any. thatd be great
I dont have cats, do have flowmaster muffler with 3 inch exhaust dumped behind the cab...I cant sneak up on ****...I love it though. If your state doesnt have emissions and you do decide to cut off your cats, wait until you have money to replace them, just incase you dont like it.

Like the dude above me said, cutting off your cats is a federal offense...but its not like they pull you over and check for them.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-25-2010
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimeWylde View Post
Lol. Yeah man. I think it would make it run better too. Just cutting off the first cat from the headers. I mean, 191,000 miles on my truck, that cat has got to be slowing the air flow. And the 2nd one can't be too bad since the first is taking most.
When it throws a CEL, it will run worse!!!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-25-2010
brianjwilson's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Posts: 3,650
Leave it alone. I'm tired of everyone's ridiculously loud trucks around here. A nice sounding, louder than stock truck is one thing. Overbearing and annoying is another.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
People with 2.5s, advice on new exhaust fivefivesixx SOHC - 2.3L & 2.5L Lima Engines 8 07-19-2012 12:27 AM
Exhaust Help and Advice 04RangerDave General Ford Ranger Discussion 0 08-07-2011 12:26 PM
Exhaust and Exhaust tip question beefcake morris 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 11 07-16-2009 01:52 PM
Ordering up some exhaust tips, need some advice//opinions. WowMike2001 General Ford Ranger Discussion 15 07-11-2008 07:45 PM
stock exhaust/new exhaust questions DillonT General Ford Ranger Discussion 7 03-18-2008 02:00 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:00 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.