Newbie Needs Help 94 Ranger - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 07-20-2014
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Long Beach Ca
Posts: 4
Newbie Needs Help 94 Ranger

I have a 1994 Ranger 2.3l. Timing belt broke. I have replaced and lined up timing marks for Crank and Cam. What else do I need to do to get it started.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-20-2014
djfllmn's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: York, PA
Posts: 5,796
fuel, spark and air
your timing may be 180* off

Last edited by djfllmn; 07-20-2014 at 04:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-20-2014
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Long Beach Ca
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by djfllmn View Post
fuel, spark and air
your timing may be 180* off
I have thought about that, but how can the timing be 180 out. Do you mean TDC at Exhaust Stroke instead of compression stroke? The crank and Cam have different sensors. If Crank sensor is lined up then #1 is at TDC correct? If Cam sensor is lined up then Cam is at the position with both valves closed and Intake valve ready to open for intake stroke? What am I missing please?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-20-2014
djfllmn's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: York, PA
Posts: 5,796
yes TDC at exhaust not compression..and just because the marks are lined up doesnt mean that its set right especially if the belt snapped
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-20-2014
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 7,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightywarrior72 View Post
I have thought about that, but how can the timing be 180 out. Do you mean TDC at Exhaust Stroke instead of compression stroke? The crank and Cam have different sensors. If Crank sensor is lined up then #1 is at TDC correct? If Cam sensor is lined up then Cam is at the position with both valves closed and Intake valve ready to open for intake stroke? What am I missing please?
Yes, you are correct.
Cam gear and oil pump/CPS gear are the same size so unlike a distributor they can not be 180deg out.

TDC is TDC there is no exhaust or compression/power stroke for the crank, that is set by the cam/valve positions

There is a special tool to line up the CKP(crank position) sensor, the CKP sensor is the MAIN sensor on the engine, on any computer controlled engine.
The crank has a wheel that the CKP reads, when wheel spins it causes a pulse in the CKP, the pulse starts the spark and fuel injectors.
So without the pulse from the CKP the computer or ICM don't know you are even try to start the engine.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-20-2014
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Long Beach Ca
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonD View Post
Yes, you are correct.
Cam gear and oil pump/CPS gear are the same size so unlike a distributor they can not be 180deg out.

TDC is TDC there is no exhaust or compression/power stroke for the crank, that is set by the cam/valve positions

There is a special tool to line up the CKP(crank position) sensor, the CKP sensor is the MAIN sensor on the engine, on any computer controlled engine.
The crank has a wheel that the CKP reads, when wheel spins it causes a pulse in the CKP, the pulse starts the spark and fuel injectors.
So without the pulse from the CKP the computer or ICM don't know you are even try to start the engine.
Truck started and seems to run fine. Is there any thing adjustable to set the timing. I know nothing about computer controlled engines. Only the old distributor type. Or is the timing belt etc the only adjustment. 94 Ford Ranger 2.3l 5 speed.
Thanks agan.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-20-2014
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 7,577
No, no user adjustable spark timing.

The ICM(ignition control module) uses the CKP sensor pulse to time the spark.
CPS(cam position sensor) signal is used by the computer(PCM) to time the fuel injectors.
The PCM also gets data from the ICM and sends data back to the ICM for advanced spark timing, to match engine load.

It works very much like old distributor system, except less parts to wear out and adjust.
Points opened and closed by riding on a cam in distributor, points were the coils ground, when closed coil powered up, when points opened coil sparked.
This was first changed to a "sensor" in the distributor that "saw" the cam bumps, at each bump a transistor would cut the ground at the coil, sending a spark from the coil to cap.
Distributor still had vacuum advance for spark timing, or centrifugal advance.
Vacuum advance was remove and an ICM(ignition control module) was used in its place, this was faster response than centrifugal advance and more precise than vacuum advance

Distributor was replaced with CKP sensors, EDIS modules and a coil packs

When the newer EEC-V computer were used in 1995/96 the EDIS module was in essence moved in to the computer, so just the CKP sensor and Coil pack were left.

CPS(cam position sensor) was added for better fuel injection timing, it also helps advanced spark timing to be more precise.

So there really is no need to adjust anything, no parts to wear out, well thats what we hope, lol
You can use any timing light to see the spark timing.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie here. needs help with diagnostic. demaxx1 Drivetrain Tech 2 11-24-2009 10:50 PM
Newbie needs help AZ01Ranger General Technical & Electrical 1 09-11-2009 07:11 AM
Newbie needs ignition switch help jcrane88 General Technical & Electrical 3 06-08-2009 05:55 PM
Another newbie needs help from the Ranger masters 98rangerboy SOHC - 2.3L & 2.5L Lima Engines 12 12-09-2007 11:24 PM
Newbie needs help, (Go figure). rivcyko DOHC - 2.3L Duratec / Mazda L Engines 12 12-03-2007 08:37 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:30 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.