this sucks - Page 2 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Suspension Tech General discussion of suspension for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #26  
Old 01-03-2006
dsef82's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 434
hmm 16 years old working for grandpa. well first thing is did you buy your truck? second does your grandpa need you to work for him or is it just a way to give you money? if you answered no to either of these questions than that is a reason your parents would have a say in what your doing. if yes to both then just explain to them that you really want to do this and hope they will back you up. my mom didn't want me to buy my truck and said she wouldn't cosign until i graduate this may so i went to the dealer and low and behold i didn't need a co-signer so i got a new truck and she didn't say anything about it, but i'm a little older then you at 24
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-03-2006
FauX's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitfire
I have at least 8k in my truck right now, it's my money and I'll use it how I like it. Just tell them what I tell my parents (and yes I am honest about it too): be glad I have a hobby like this rather than drinking, driving, or something worse (which would end up costing you just as much or more, but you'd be a lot more f'ed up, haha).

I Like my hobby though trent
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-03-2006
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 2,099
I'm 19. Do it.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-03-2006
rolla_guy72's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Posts: 3,256
[whisper] I already said that...[/whisper]
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-04-2006
i_love_paintbal's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: atown
Posts: 197
just to clairify my gun is the nicest gun on the market if you dont belive me look it up its a hybrid shocker. so dont even try to tell me that there are better guns than mine. now thats out of the way the truck was given to me buy my parents they gave both my brothers and my sister their first vehicles. so i consider it mine it has benn Completely paid off from day one. im working for my grandpa because there is no time for me to get a normal job because of sports. he needs the work done so its not just a way to pay me. it would cost him the same to pay someone els for the work he just wanted me to do it because i live like 100 feet away from his house and would rather pay me than someone els.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsef82
hmm 16 years old working for grandpa. well first thing is did you buy your truck? second does your grandpa need you to work for him or is it just a way to give you money? if you answered no to either of these questions than that is a reason your parents would have a say in what your doing. if yes to both then just explain to them that you really want to do this and hope they will back you up. my mom didn't want me to buy my truck and said she wouldn't cosign until i graduate this may so i went to the dealer and low and behold i didn't need a co-signer so i got a new truck and she didn't say anything about it, but i'm a little older then you at 24
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 01-05-2006
jimmclrk1's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 158
I'm 18. My parents used to tell me that I wasn't allowed to modify my truck. When I started doing it anyway, they were a little pissed. When they considered that I had my own job, was using my own money, and saw that I really was interested in what I was doing, they backed off.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-05-2006
jtslmn720's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Kent State, Kent Ohio
Posts: 7,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_paintbal
now thats out of the way the truck was given to me buy my parents they gave both my brothers and my sister their first vehicles.
that line alone makes me think theyre more right... its bascily their car but your jsut using it, or thats the way it seems to me...

Quote:
I'm 18. My parents used to tell me that I wasn't allowed to modify my truck. When I started doing it anyway, they were a little pissed. When they considered that I had my own job, was using my own money, and saw that I really was interested in what I was doing, they backed off.
lol my parents are the same way, i was putting my emblems on and my dad walked out, looked at me tearing my old ones off and just shook his head and walked back inside...i think as long as i dont do anything major then they shouldnt care...
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-06-2006
red_fx2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: lakeland, fl
Posts: 32
my mom really dont care..im so happy bout that.she does to an extent..but most of the time i just dont say anything bout it..come home..and say "hey mom, notice anything different bout the truck" then she s***s a brick. but its ok..she wastes her money on pointless stuff in my eyes..as i do the same that is pointless in her eyes. but o well
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-06-2006
jimmclrk1's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X2XLT
that line alone makes me think theyre more right... its bascily their car but your jsut using it, or thats the way it seems to me...


lol my parents are the same way, i was putting my emblems on and my dad walked out, looked at me tearing my old ones off and just shook his head and walked back inside...i think as long as i dont do anything major then they shouldnt care...

Oh... I lifted it 8", put 33's on it, put all new sound equipment in (3 amps, a component set, rear midbass, 2 12" subs, a new head unit, sound deadened the doors), bought my X-Calibrator, dual side-exit exhaust, and the K&N. I guess when you think about it, that's kinda major stuff!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-06-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
the best part is when you roll home and you got 33s and a lift installed or they get in for a ride into town or something and they are like did it come that way. lol

my mom complains.... my dad complains in front of my mom.... but once he is out there hes like whats next. lol
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-06-2006
tex tex is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: San Antonio, TEXAS
Posts: 79
You are 16. Are you planning on going to college? If so, save your money - you'll be glad you did. Even if you're not going to college, you may be moving out in 2 years or so. Think about some of those future expenses. Offroading is fun, but stuff will break and it costs money to fix it.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-06-2006
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nacogdoches, TX
Posts: 222
Quote:
just to clairify my gun is the nicest gun on the market if you dont belive me look it up its a hybrid shocker. so dont even try to tell me that there are better guns than mine.
ummm angel g7 fly? nah thats cool, i still like my modded evil omen more than anything. but first, whos name is on the title of the truck yours or your parents? If it is in their names, it is their truck, and you are currently driving it. second, if you can afford the parts and labor save up enough money for them and double it. that way you have the money to pay for the stuff you want to put on, and can help pay for or completely pay for anything you break from stress or offroading it. I put a bunch of sh** on my truck w/ permission from one rent and none from the other, and I regret not getting both on my side everytime I need help for anything. Just make shure you can cover broken stuff and I think you will be good.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-06-2006
GrafixGuy's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 8,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigolbubba
ummm angel g7 fly? nah thats cool, i still like my modded evil omen more than anything. but first, whos name is on the title of the truck yours or your parents? If it is in their names, it is their truck, and you are currently driving it. second, if you can afford the parts and labor save up enough money for them and double it. that way you have the money to pay for the stuff you want to put on, and can help pay for or completely pay for anything you break from stress or offroading it. I put a bunch of sh** on my truck w/ permission from one rent and none from the other, and I regret not getting both on my side everytime I need help for anything. Just make shure you can cover broken stuff and I think you will be good.
He's right if it aint in your name just wait till you can take the title then you can mod the heck out of it
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-06-2006
i_love_paintbal's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: atown
Posts: 197
that will be a efing long *** time. my name wont be on the title for a long time if it is then the inshu. is higher alot higher. g7 fly not as nice as mine i have benn offter a few for my gun and theirs were hily moded sorry mine is still better haha ha ha.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-07-2006
shorty's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Nortonville, Kentucky
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_paintbal
that will be a efing long *** time. my name wont be on the title for a long time if it is then the inshu. is higher alot higher. g7 fly not as nice as mine i have benn offter a few for my gun and theirs were hily moded sorry mine is still better haha ha ha.
First of all, I could long ball you with my Tippmann 98 and you wouldn't know what hit you, its not the price of the gun that makes it good....it's the skill of the player behind it. Secondly, I'm 17. My parents co-signed for me. I pay all the insurance and 3/4 of the monthly payment on it. They back me in my modding of my truck. They have no problems with me modding it, just as long as I know the rammifications of my mods (broke stuff, cost, etc). I used to play several sports for my school (basketball, soccer, track). But then I bought my truck. I quit playing sports so that I could work more hours and have more money, its all a matter of getting your priorities straight. I fully intend on going to college. Planning ahead is a big thing you need to do. Right now I have a Certified Nursing Assistants license, but I can't practice until I'm 18. This means once I turn 18, I'll have a guaranteed 40,000 dollar a year job WHILE I'M IN COLLEGE. BTW, I'm going for a Nursing degree. Like I said before, its all a matter of getting your priorities straight and planning ahead...
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 01-07-2006
i_love_paintbal's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: atown
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty
First of all, I could long ball you with my Tippmann 98 and you wouldn't know what hit you, its not the price of the gun that makes it good....it's the skill of the player behind it. ...
true but the gun can limist the player 10 ***** per second compared to 17 is a big diff and does make a diff in a game. like you said price isnt what makes a gun better g7 fly is more expensive but not as nice as mine thats why people want to trade me. long ball me no i dont think so speed ball fields are not that long a rec ball is and still no.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-08-2006
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Avon, IN
Posts: 756
its funny my GF says the same about me spending $$ on my truck..


i ask her how much she has spent on new purses this month.. that shuts her up ( she buys about $250 worth each month) yes its almost 3 new purses a month.. its retarted considering i have 1 wallet and it last for 2-3 years..
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-08-2006
coolpeoplswillis's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 350
if its your truck do what you wish to it....my girlfriend gives me hell all the time because i buy truck toys instead of buying her shoes and clothes.....HAAAAAHAAA....maybe if she had FORD tatooed on her **** or *** i'd buy her some clothes.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-08-2006
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: College Station, TX
Posts: 5,782
Well I've paid for 2 trucks now... the last one had several thousand invested in it on top of the price of the vehicle.

My parents weren't crazy about all the mods I did to it. They tried to talk me out of it several times. They didn't like the fact that I seemed to be 'working for my truck' in that the only thing I spent my money on was my truck (and girls, but that's a different story). None of the rest of my family is big into cars/trucks or modifying them. None of them really understand why I do it. They just realized that it's something I enjoy doing. My dad collects boy scout patches. He's got thousands of dollars worth of them. My sister is an artist, and she's very talented. My mom enjoys taking care of the neighborhood's kids. Everyone's got their own thing that they enjoy doing. I personally hate the neighborhood kids, but I still let mom do her thing. Don't know a thing about art or boy scout patches, but I don't tell them they're retarded for doing it.

The thing about it though was that each mod I wanted to do cost alot of money, and thus I had to save alot for it. When I could afford it though, I'd been wanting it for several months and it wasn't one of those things I'd 'blow all my money on.' It was something I genuinely wanted. Dad was the only one who could really see eye to eye with that one though, as art and babysitting don't take alot of money... Anyways, once you have the money saved for it, they might realize that it's something you want too.

It IS your money, you ought to have atleast some say in what you do with it. Also, if you off-road and start breaking things, it's an excellent way for you to learn something about your truck, and vehicles in general! I've learned so much from working on my truck, and it has helped me save alot of money on some repair bills by doing things myself. Who knows? You may save as much as you spend over time.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-08-2006
quest51210
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
get it outta your system now before its too late. i have had 9 cars since i was 15 and im now 25. 4 were so so and 4 had at least 8-9 thousand in them. i would build one and then sell it to fund the next one. now i have the ranger and in college and purposely set asid 5000 of my savings to fix it up but its not practical to me right now. in the futre when outta law school i will get my "big" truck and a mercedes500 and be happy, so do it now before you get older and caught up. just remember that you cant go as many places or leave your truck unattended for long periods of time when you trick out your shat cuz someone else always got their eye on it.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 01-08-2006
pacodiablo's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,126
It sounds like the most important thing you need to do is to show your parents and grandfather that you can be responsible with money. Don't blow it all on material things, save some of it for later on in life. If they see that you can be responsible with money, they might give you a little more freedom with the truck.

Also, see if it is at all possible to get them interested in modifications. When I first got my truck my dad wouldn't let me do any aftermarket modifications period. He didn't see a reason for doing them, so to him it was just a waste of money to do anything to the truck. I finally talked him into agreeing to my first modification though...my Line-X bed liner. It was somewhat practical, so it wasn't as hard to convince him that it wasn't a total waste of money. After that, he relaxed his rules because he saw that modifications could be a good thing. Now I can pretty much do what I want so long as the truck will pass state inspections. In fact, with some things my dad will actually help me out as long as he doesn't have to get too dirty. He still says that it is wasteful and pointless, but I can tell by his willingness to help and intrest when new truck parts arrive that he sort of enjoys it too.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pulling trans in the driveway sucks! SuicideAxles Drivetrain Tech 2 06-28-2006 04:28 PM
dang 4 wheel parts sucks..... lifted97ranger General Ford Ranger Discussion 24 06-16-2006 02:43 PM
Sucks for this guy (pic) SanityAside General Ford Ranger Discussion 15 10-07-2005 02:23 AM
Desperation SUCKS.... John Moorehead Exterior Semi-Tech 13 12-27-2004 07:12 AM
3.0 SUCKS! TremorJon 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 74 11-03-2004 01:17 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:35 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.