5speedin2.3's SAS Thread - Page 5 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Project Logs For detailed builds specific to the Ford Ranger, one thread per vehicle please.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #101  
Old 03-29-2008
5speedin2.3's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Livonia, Mi
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by zainyD View Post
I think you'll like those Mastercraft tires. I've been running a set of 35's for over a year now and have been impressed with both their on and off-road manners. They seem to wear well too.

Looks like you're making good progress!
they are great tires, the 32's i have were on my dads truck and they have about 50-60% tread left.


more updates.

we ordered $150 worth of stuff from dan at ruffstuffspecialties.com

we went with 5" shackles and a few other mounts.

we will start everything around the 11th of april when my insurance policy is up on my truck.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 04-03-2008
5speedin2.3's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Livonia, Mi
Posts: 12
well, i got the parts from dan at ruffstuff today, the box was a little messed up and kinda freaked me out, but everything was still in the box.

then i went to a u-pull and got some spring plates, what a freaking pita...

Name:  IMG_0510.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  43.7 KB
Name:  IMG_0511.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  62.5 KB
Name:  IMG_0514.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  62.6 KB
Name:  IMG_0517.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  71.3 KB
Name:  IMG_0518.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  67.5 KB
Name:  IMG_0519.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  52.5 KB
Name:  IMG_0525.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  99.8 KB
Name:  IMG_0529.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  75.9 KB
Name:  IMG_0530.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  66.3 KB
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 04-04-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Paulding , GA.
Posts: 1,435
ur just about ready to start the front good job!
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 04-04-2008
5speedin2.3's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Livonia, Mi
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LayingFrame89 View Post
ur just about ready to start the front good job!
we have just about everything we need other then new ubolts, steel and bolts/nuts.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 04-04-2008
04 EDGE
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
if anyone wants to come over sunday and watch/help us rip the front suspension off your very welcome to.
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 04-04-2008
rangererv's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dearborn Michigan
Posts: 4,376
i need to make it over there one of these days to get some parts to deliver. i donno if i can make it sunday tho
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 04-04-2008
04 EDGE
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
i'm sure we will have a blast trashing daniels truck!
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 04-04-2008
5speedin2.3's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Livonia, Mi
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 EDGE View Post
i'm sure we will have a blast trashing daniels truck!
lol.. im scared...
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 04-04-2008
5speedin2.3's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Livonia, Mi
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangererv View Post
i need to make it over there one of these days to get some parts to deliver. i donno if i can make it sunday tho
stop by any day, just give me a call.

i think stone has my number if you don't have it.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 04-05-2008
Mark98xlt's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Parma Ohio
Posts: 13
thats what you get for shipping with the postal office....
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 04-05-2008
5speedin2.3's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Livonia, Mi
Posts: 12
Name:  IMG_0535.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  72.8 KB
Name:  IMG_0540.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  73.5 KB
Name:  IMG_0542.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  73.7 KB
Name:  IMG_0543.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  75.4 KB
Name:  IMG_0544.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  59.7 KB
Name:  IMG_0545.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  76.0 KB
Name:  IMG_0546.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  58.9 KB
Name:  IMG_0547.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  72.2 KB

beer.
Name:  IMG_0548.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  72.9 KB
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 04-05-2008
04 EDGE
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
wow the garage is a mess lol
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 04-05-2008
2002FX4's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 428
Lookin' good Daniel! Buuttt PLEASE, PLEASE don't have the shackle up front. Do a shackle reversal.. you'll be soo much more happy in the end. I don't know how the performance is of how you have it, but with a shackle reversal being a quite popular modification, you ought to think strongly of it while you're at the point you are.

Again, just my .02..
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 04-05-2008
greygooseranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 3,293
Hey, that garage looks familiar! Not as messy as it was when I was there.....lmao! I wish I wasn't going to Canada tomorrow, I would love to come and help, errr, I mean supervise with some Miller lite!!
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 04-05-2008
04 EDGE
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002FX4 View Post
Lookin' good Daniel! Buuttt PLEASE, PLEASE don't have the shackle up front. Do a shackle reversal.. you'll be soo much more happy in the end. I don't know how the performance is of how you have it, but with a shackle reversal being a quite popular modification, you ought to think strongly of it while you're at the point you are.

Again, just my .02..
the shackles are going in the front, unless i see it working better in the rear then thats what i will do.

shackle in the front will mean less steel at the front of the frame and will also keep it somewhat low.

were not going for lift, rather function!

the brackets are super thick and i dought it will see any rock crawling.
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 04-05-2008
04 EDGE
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by greygooseranger View Post
Hey, that garage looks familiar! Not as messy as it was when I was there.....lmao! I wish I wasn't going to Canada tomorrow, I would love to come and help, errr, I mean supervise with some Miller lite!!
screw canada, come over
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 04-05-2008
2002FX4's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 EDGE View Post
the shackles are going in the front, unless i see it working better in the rear then thats what i will do.

shackle in the front will mean less steel at the front of the frame and will also keep it somewhat low.

were not going for lift, rather function!

the brackets are super thick and i dought it will see any rock crawling.
I can understand the shackle up front for lesser lift, but there are 'several ways to skin a cat' to do a shackle reversal and not get too much lift. By doing spring under you're already gonna keep it 3" lower than you otherwise would with SOA.

Also, a shackle reversal does improve the function of the suspension. Look at any rear leaf spring setup. It carries the same principle as is achieved with a reversal (up front).

And as for the weight issue with less steel up front, that is really neither here nor there as either end will have steel. With the shackle up front there is even more steel as you have the shackle hangers and the shackle. The other end has only the leaf hanger.

Moving on, I don't want to come acrossed as an a**hole or be a PITA, but rather share all of my thoughts/opinions so they're out there. Of course its ultimately you're choice!
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 04-05-2008
5speedin2.3's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Livonia, Mi
Posts: 12
yeah, we will see what works best.

i was reading about driveshaft issues and problems with the axle "unloading" so im kinda iffy about putting the shackles in the rear now.
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 04-06-2008
5speedin2.3's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Livonia, Mi
Posts: 12
if anyone wants to come over and give me a hand today, or hang out, feel free to pm me.

we will be starting some time after 12.
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 04-06-2008
04 EDGE
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002FX4 View Post
I can understand the shackle up front for lesser lift, but there are 'several ways to skin a cat' to do a shackle reversal and not get too much lift. By doing spring under you're already gonna keep it 3" lower than you otherwise would with SOA.

Also, a shackle reversal does improve the function of the suspension. Look at any rear leaf spring setup. It carries the same principle as is achieved with a reversal (up front).

And as for the weight issue with less steel up front, that is really neither here nor there as either end will have steel. With the shackle up front there is even more steel as you have the shackle hangers and the shackle. The other end has only the leaf hanger.

Moving on, I don't want to come acrossed as an a**hole or be a PITA, but rather share all of my thoughts/opinions so they're out there. Of course its ultimately you're choice!
if i put the shackles in the rear i will have to box the frame and then make a hole in it for the top shackle bushing.

and also make a large and heavy frame extension at the front that will hang down and look like crap. all this will need to be done for proper pinion angle.

i dont see any benefit for this as it will be driven on the street and never see any rock crawling thus i dought he will ever bend the front springs, and that is why shackle reversal is done
Reply With Quote
  #121  
Old 04-06-2008
5speedin2.3's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Livonia, Mi
Posts: 12
"Both methods have their pluses and minuses. It boils down more to what the rig's purpose is - and personal preferences. If the Jeep is going to be a daily driver as well as weekend trail warrior, forward shackles may be the way to go. If the rig is primary a trail toy and sees more street miles on a trailer than with its tires on the tarmac, then the rear shackles may be more advantageous."

http://www.jeeptech.com/susp/elkcahs/
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 04-06-2008
5speedin2.3's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Livonia, Mi
Posts: 12
well, we got everything cut off today, it only took a few hours.

tomorrow we are going to get ubolts and put the axle under the truck.

Name:  IMG_0550.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  50.9 KB
Name:  IMG_0552.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  92.4 KB
Name:  IMG_0555.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  94.2 KB
Name:  IMG_0556.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  74.7 KB
Name:  IMG_0559.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  89.3 KB
Name:  IMG_0560.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  77.2 KB

as the truck sits now.
Name:  IMG_0561.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  70.5 KB
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 04-06-2008
2002FX4's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 428
Lookin' good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5speedin2.3 View Post
"Both methods have their pluses and minuses. It boils down more to what the rig's purpose is - and personal preferences. If the Jeep is going to be a daily driver as well as weekend trail warrior, forward shackles may be the way to go. If the rig is primary a trail toy and sees more street miles on a trailer than with its tires on the tarmac, then the rear shackles may be more advantageous."

http://www.jeeptech.com/susp/elkcahs/
Well, there ya go. But I see this portion, "..forward shackles may be the way to go.." so I'm not too too convinced. Regardless, good luck on the project!
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 04-06-2008
04 EDGE
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
i'm wooped
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 04-06-2008
5speedin2.3's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Livonia, Mi
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 EDGE View Post
i'm wooped
i blame the swing set.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
5speedin2.3 (Daniel) Biz Ranger Products, Company, & Member Reviews 32 12-16-2007 01:23 PM
5speedin2.3 clean out your inbox Ushkie General Ford Ranger Discussion 3 08-22-2007 08:01 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:07 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.