Coilover Conversion Hardware - Page 12 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Suspension Tech General discussion of suspension for the Ford Ranger.

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #276  
Old 10-02-2009
seed60's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 5,584
I'm running 750's with bumper, big skid, and winch, 150-175 lbs maybe more. I've got sliders too and whatever weight they put on the front.

I loved the truck's height when I first put the 750's on. They have settled a little but nothing like the 600's did. After they settled I almost wished I would've went with 800's. But the ride is nice with the 750's and still provide me with enough height.
  #277  
Old 10-02-2009
Scrambler82's Avatar
Old Guy Userů ltr
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,773
Wish you guys had gotten in on the original buy, maybe could've got a lower price. Maybe we can get a rebate on the whole order... will have to ask Nick. ha, ha, sure !

Mine arrive two days ago, sweet, God they look good, can't wait for the install.
Still waiting for the lift kit to get here.
  #278  
Old 10-02-2009
Woods-Rider's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 1,108
Gonna start on my install tonight after dinner. Hopefully everything goes smooth and I'll be driving it tomorrow!
  #279  
Old 10-02-2009
KLC's Avatar
KLC KLC is offline
RF Veteran
iTrader: (29)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 13,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods-Rider View Post
Gonna start on my install tonight after dinner. Hopefully everything goes smooth and I'll be driving it tomorrow!
Lucky dog! Good luck with the install.
  #280  
Old 10-02-2009
Robin Hood's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: AZ
Posts: 789
I waited too long to get my coilovers :( mainly because i didnt have the money.
  #281  
Old 10-02-2009
Off-roadranger04's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Newark, Delaware
Posts: 1,751
still waiting on my brackets... then i'll order me some coilovers and a new front driveshaft since i still have my stock one.
  #282  
Old 10-03-2009
08XLT4x4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: bomba shack
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods-Rider View Post
Gonna start on my install tonight after dinner. Hopefully everything goes smooth and I'll be driving it tomorrow!
JACOB SENT YOU THE KIT!?!

awesome to hear you received it! did you get those cross member support bar thingies?
  #283  
Old 10-03-2009
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
Kyle is making is own bracketry. But he did participate in the ORW group buy.
  #284  
Old 10-03-2009
Scrambler82's Avatar
Old Guy Userů ltr
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods-Rider View Post
Gonna start on my install tonight after dinner. Hopefully everything goes smooth and I'll be driving it tomorrow!
Great. let us know how they ride ?

Which spring rate did you get ?
  #285  
Old 10-03-2009
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
Damn...this makes me the only local Superlift WITHOUT coil-overs. :-(
  #286  
Old 10-03-2009
KLC's Avatar
KLC KLC is offline
RF Veteran
iTrader: (29)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 13,115
Is Jacob still alive?

Just giving you a hard time.
  #287  
Old 10-03-2009
Woods-Rider's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 1,108
Yeah, I'm makin/made my own but didn't have any measurements from anyone or from the RCD brackets or even the coilovers lol. So I needed to make some adjustments. Got one side in with no rubbing through out the travel, the other side needs a bit of adjustment.

I got the 750s. I'll post pics and what not tomorrow hopefully.
  #288  
Old 10-03-2009
RangerNVS's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Temple, TX
Posts: 1,341
Shane actually it makes 2 of us...I too haven't gotten in on this. But hopefully when money becomes available I'll be able to get in on this. I do have some questions though:

So the kit includes the gussets for the upper shock mount, and that is the only thing that get's welded correct?

Ok so we're a badass now and have coil-overs....but what do we do about a alignment? The ranger never came from the factory with coilover's, so how is a alignment shop going to align the truck, when the suspension limits they are going to have are going to be for a truck with torsion bars?
  #289  
Old 10-04-2009
Rooks's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerNVS View Post
Shane actually it makes 2 of us...I too haven't gotten in on this. But hopefully when money becomes available I'll be able to get in on this. I do have some questions though:

So the kit includes the gussets for the upper shock mount, and that is the only thing that get's welded correct?

Ok so we're a badass now and have coil-overs....but what do we do about a alignment? The ranger never came from the factory with coilover's, so how is a alignment shop going to align the truck, when the suspension limits they are going to have are going to be for a truck with torsion bars?
I may be way wrong on this... but what do your Suspension limits have to do with Alignment?

Your not changing the path the Suspension travels in or the way the Ranger is aligned (since your not changing your Ball Joints or Control Arms). Your simply changing the point of Suspension load from the T-Bar to the Coilover.
  #290  
Old 10-04-2009
RangerNVS's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Temple, TX
Posts: 1,341
Matt exactley my point. T-bars do have something to do with alignment. If you max your torsion bars out what happens to your tire? It toes in and burns your balljoints out. If you take the pre-load out of the torsion bar what happens? It toes out and you smoke your balljoints. In both instances your front tire is not contacting the ground evenly, which leads to premature tire wear. Either inboard or outboard. So my point being, if ranger's didn't come from the factory with coil-overs.....and you take your truck down to Sears, Ford, Firestone, Discount...etc etc and try and get your truck aligned (if they check it) and verify your camber, how are they going to know if it's right or not? There isn't any factory specs........
  #291  
Old 10-04-2009
korey89's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South, FL
Posts: 4,672
You're kind of over thinking this, the coilovers aren't doing anything that would affect the alignment unless you preloaded them enough to the point where you would need camber eccentrics to fix the camber, same with the torsion bars. You're confused about toe too. Toe isn't camber, camber is vertical and toe is horizontal.
  #292  
Old 10-04-2009
RangerNVS's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Temple, TX
Posts: 1,341
Korey, ok so your saying that coil-over's have NOTHING to do with alignment?

Ok camber is where your front wheels are closer together at the bottom than they are at the top, that is what I was meaning to say.

Toe'd in or out is the wheels themselves turned in or out...

What I'm getting at or my overall concern. I can take my truck down to Ford and get the truck aligned, because it's within factory specifications...i/e steering geometry. Torsion bars do play some sort of role in your alignment because if they aren't even, or equal your going to burn up your tires and your balljoints, if they aren't.

So I put coil-overs on the truck. and try and get the truck aligned. On my 99, I have no adjustments that can be made for alignment EXCEPT for alignment cams. I've got the new MOOG upper control arms, which the passanger side doesn't have adjustments bolts anymore. The reason I'm asking all this, is because I just had my alignment done by ford 2 weeks ago....and when I got the truck back it was alot lower in the front. I asked the tech, why they changed it and he said we had to otherwise your tire wouldn't be hitting the ground evenly, and your aligment wouldn't be true.
  #293  
Old 10-04-2009
08XLT4x4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: bomba shack
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerNVS View Post
The reason I'm asking all this, is because I just had my alignment done by ford 2 weeks ago....and when I got the truck back it was alot lower in the front. I asked the tech, why they changed it and he said we had to otherwise your tire wouldn't be hitting the ground evenly, and your aligment wouldn't be true.
very interesting point. ever since i put in the pre '08 keys and cranked down my torsion bar adjusters, I have had 3 separate alignments by different shops because my front tires are wearing out BAD. Needless to say, neither alignment solved the problem. It makes sense that over cranking the torsion bars would make it so camber cannot be put in spec...

the only thing I dont understand is how sooo many other rangers are like this but have no problems... kinda thinking out loud here, but im sick of tearing up my tires! lol, I HOPE the camber washers will solve my problem (installing these when I do the coilover swap)
  #294  
Old 10-04-2009
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
How do you think the guys that already have the RCD lift get their truck aligned? Just do it the same way they do
  #295  
Old 10-04-2009
RangerNVS's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Temple, TX
Posts: 1,341
Trent I dunno. I understand your point. But how do you correct camber on a Torsion bar truck? You adjust the torsion bar bolt right? I'd assume on a coil-over you adjust it accordingly to obtain the correct camber angle. But are the idiots at your local Billy Bob auto repair going to know that.....

and as far as RCD guys I bet when they get their alignment done all they do is check the toe in/toe out
  #296  
Old 10-04-2009
korey89's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South, FL
Posts: 4,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerNVS View Post
Korey, ok so your saying that coil-over's have NOTHING to do with alignment?

Ok camber is where your front wheels are closer together at the bottom than they are at the top, that is what I was meaning to say.

Toe'd in or out is the wheels themselves turned in or out...

What I'm getting at or my overall concern. I can take my truck down to Ford and get the truck aligned, because it's within factory specifications...i/e steering geometry. Torsion bars do play some sort of role in your alignment because if they aren't even, or equal your going to burn up your tires and your balljoints, if they aren't.

So I put coil-overs on the truck. and try and get the truck aligned. On my 99, I have no adjustments that can be made for alignment EXCEPT for alignment cams. I've got the new MOOG upper control arms, which the passanger side doesn't have adjustments bolts anymore. The reason I'm asking all this, is because I just had my alignment done by ford 2 weeks ago....and when I got the truck back it was alot lower in the front. I asked the tech, why they changed it and he said we had to otherwise your tire wouldn't be hitting the ground evenly, and your aligment wouldn't be true.
Yeah, coilovers don't have anything to do with the alignment. It's no like the coilvers are going to lift the front more than torsion bars would or anything, the control arms are still going to be at the same angles as they would be with torsion bars. If you were changing control arms and stuff than maybe you could have issues. If the torsion bars arn't equal it really doesn't matter as long as you don't have like one way higher than the other, the suspension is all adjustable and you can adjust it back to spec. Those passanger side bolts only adjusted caster on the side, now your caster is just fixed at a factory spec without adjustment.

As far as why they decranked your tbars, they were probably maxed and you didn't have a set of camber eccentrics so the stock adjustment doesn't go far enough to fix it. Put a set of camber eccentrics in your upper control arms, crank your torsion bars back up, and they should be able to align it without a problem.
  #297  
Old 10-04-2009
RangerNVS's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Temple, TX
Posts: 1,341
The bars weren't maxed, I put the superlift on myself. Had the camber shims installed (that came with the superlift kit) and had the truck aligned. No problems....I wasn't burning through tire's or anything. I took the truck to ford 3 months ago and they decranked them enough for me to notice it. Where are you getting this stock adjustment from? There is no adjustment....the only thing you can change is the alignment shims that go inbetween your uppercontrol arm and the mount that is welded onto the frame.
  #298  
Old 10-04-2009
mlw20lu's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Loxahatchee, FL
Posts: 1,825
heres your answer. DONT TAKE YOUR TRUCK TO FORD for an alignment. why would you take a Modded truck that is no longer under warranty to the dealership. take it to a tire place. Korey is correct in every aspect. the coilovers do not change the geomtry or function of the suspension at all. they simply just change how the upper and lower a arm is supported. For those of you that are roasting tires theres obviously something else wrong or stop cranking your torsion bars. for what you would have spent in tires you could have gotten a suspension lift already.
  #299  
Old 10-04-2009
RangerNVS's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Temple, TX
Posts: 1,341
Mark because the tire places around here suck....and I'm sorry I don't believe that is correct....
  #300  
Old 10-04-2009
ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Imperial Beach, CA
Posts: 4,502
800lbs springs suck. Trust me i ran them for a year and a half till my coilovers broke. Even with weight up front the truck will be way to harsh of a ride.
Closed Thread

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Sport Trac (Gone Coilover'd!) Coilover Pic Thread shooterdude199 Snapshots 17 09-27-2011 03:25 PM
For Sale: NEW RCD coilover brackets and hardware!!!!HI 808danger Suspension, Tires, & Wheels 10 07-14-2010 03:52 AM
new form of coilover conversion hardware HillPrideRanger Suspension Tech 13 12-14-2009 07:37 PM
checking interest: "superlift to coilover" hardware(TX) shadow905 Suspension Tech 173 08-12-2009 06:17 AM
COILOVER CONVERSION... Inputs??? Ford'sFORD Suspension Tech 33 03-09-2009 03:43 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:03 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.